Subject: minutes, and Next call this Monday

Title: minutes, and Next call this Monday

All:

Next call this Monday:

Time: Monday Nov 10,  2pm PT
Host: Fujitsu
Toll Free - :  1-800-251-6413
Toll - :  1-913-905-1400
Participant code: 598136

Agenda:

1. Test Framework: (Mike Kass)
- status of updates in progress.
- outline proposed solutions for major items (a)(b)(c) identified in last minutes.
- Define our position regarding: message independance, backward compatibility,
use of 3rd party tools.
2. XML 2003 Dec 7: demos (Monica)
- more details on demo scenarios of IIC-related demo candidates: NCA, DrakeC, NIST.
3. Other ebXML work:
- new JC: compatibility matrix for versions of various ebXML components.
- Global interop testing.
- Status on conformance test suites for BPSS / RR.

<<IIC_October_27_03_Minutes.txt>> <<IIC_November_05_03_Minutes.txt>>

IIC Conference Call Minutes:
Monday, October 27, 2003

Attendance:

Serm Kulvatunyou (NIST)
Mike Kass (NIST)
Jacques Durand (Fujitsu)
Jin Hwa (NCA/Korea)
Monica Martin (Sun)
Steve Yung (Sun)

excused:

Pete Wenzel (SeeBeyond)
Tim Sakach (DrakeCertivo)

Minutes taker: Jacques Durand

Time: Monday October 27, 2pm PT
Host: Fujitsu
Toll Free - : 1-800-251-6413
Toll - : 1-913-905-1400
Participant code: 598136

Agenda:

1. MS conformance test suite package.
- Final status of non-normative part, posting.
2. Test Framework: (Mike Kass)
- status of updates in progress
- discuss each major update group.
- backward compatibility aspects.
3. XML 2003 Dec 7: demos (Monica)
- review demo scenarios of IIC-related demo candidates (NCA, DCertivo)
- logistics, other ebXML participants.
4. Other ebXML work:
- Status on conformance test suites for BPSS / RR,
- new JC: compatibility matrix for versions of various ebXML components.

-----

1. ebMS conformance test suite package

- Final conformance package posted on our site.

2. Test Framework

- the upgrade items may need to be prioritized, if we plan for a 1.1 release in January.
- Mike: there are a few issues we need to agree on:
(*) how independent the next TF design should be from ebXML specifics.
That concersn such terminology as Service/Action, the error reporting (how errors
are returned), in addition to message envelope. Answer: the TF needs to absorb
any ebXML significant upgrade (e.g. ebMS V3.0 that will have schema changes, etc.)
- Mike: working on upgrade #2 (see previous notes), and errata #6.
"Mutation" of a doc.
- also, part of test case control that involves initiating a case (Initiator action)
should not use messaging.
- Monica: need to abstract the implementation of functions such as Notification.
Need better support for choreography, timing support, bus collaborations, test case flow.
- we'd like to avoid the test driver to replicate a workflow engine. Minimal
set of control flow operations (conditional branching, repeat?...)
- Steve: the TF should be usable for tseting other technologies than just ebXML.
e.g. Registry can be used with other messaging. Also, what link with WS-I?
Answer: WS-I testing does not involve a driver at this point: it assumes monitoring
of a deployed system (client+WS). I.e., no test suite for WS-I conformance, other
than built-in test procedures in test tool. Once a more "standard" test suite can be
identified, test driver will be useful. For now, the WS-I test target is the WS application
itself, and therefore the client has to be app specific.

3- XML 2003 Dec 7: demos (Monica)

- NCA Korea: identified a 3rd party RR provider. Can do RR demo as well.
- Wed Dec 9th 1:30pm-2:30, is our spot.
- Mike not sure NIST can commit doing part of the demo.

IIC Conference Call Minutes:
Wednesday, November 5, 2003

Attendance:

Serm Kulvatunyou (NIST)
Mike Kass (NIST)
Jacques Durand (Fujitsu)
Jin Hwa (NCA/Korea)
Monica Martin (Sun)
Steve Yung (Sun)
Angela Warburton (DrakeCertivo)
Tim Sakach (DrakeCertivo)
Andy Moir (DrakeCertivo)

excused:

Pete Wenzel (SeeBeyond)

Minutes taker: Jacques Durand

Time: Wednesday November 5, 2pm PT
Host: Fujitsu
Toll Free - : 1-800-251-6413
Toll - : 1-913-905-1400
Participant code: 598136

Agenda:

1. Test Framework: (Mike Kass)
- status of updates in progress
- discuss critical update areas, (message independance, backward compatibility,
use of 3rd party tools)
3. XML 2003 Dec 7: demos (Monica)
- review demo scenarios of IIC-related demo candidates: NCA, DrakeC, NIST.
- status of involvement of other participants, of their componentns.
4. Other ebXML work:
- new JC: compatibility matrix for versions of various ebXML components.
- Global interop testing.
- Status on conformance test suites for BPSS / RR:

-----

1. Demo XML 2003

- Plan is, over 1 hour: 3 parts, ~20mn each)
(1) Mike Kass will chair the demo, do an initial presentation of the Test Framework,
status of impleemntations. (we can reuse some slide material from XML Europe)
(2) NCA can demo: partial ebMS conformance + partial RegRep conformance.
(use a RR Korean provider). Some slides will explain overall scenario/arch.
(3) DrakeCertivo can demo: testing solution for OAG (BODs / collaboration),
using ebXML messaging. Also have partial ebMS conformance testing.
BOD testing involves XML schema and business rules (schematron).
Some slides will explain overall scenario/arch.
- this would be msotly a demo of the test framework. Partial conformance
testing (e.g. subset of IIC test suite) is mostly accessory, used as POC for test framework.
Each one of the 3 parts is about 20mn.
- can we pretend that test suites scripts are portable across TFramework?
NCA is fully conforming to TFk schema (no extensions). DrakeC had to extend
for app-level testing.
- Monica : will verify what other material needs be provided by demoers.
Slideware should be enough, in case there is posting on IDEAlliance site.
(is more than this required? paper?). Will also verify with orgnaizers,
if se can have two projectors (e.g. one for scenario slides 1 for demo, or two for demo)
- NCA will send more precise plan for their RegRep testing demo (what part of
RegRep is tested, what testbed architecture, and test suite are used.)
- Mike: NIST will not demo the test framework - only do presentations.
- All participants will not need internet conenction (demo is local)

2. Test Framework

- need to prioritize upgrade items. Among the top priorities that we identify so far:
major upgrade areas(a)(b)(c). (we need to identify the most useful features
inside  each of these)

(a) keeping the design independent from ebXML material under test:

- decoupling of design with ebXML-specific material (message envelope and schema,
configuration). This is also necessary to address later ebMS upgrades (V3.0) which
will not be (likely) backward compatible. That includes:
- message templates.
- generic configuration handling.
- persistent store: message items indepdt schema.
- Some Service/Actions are not general enough (Tim): they manipulate message constructs
that are specific to ebMS V2.0.  (RefToMessageId...). Although others are general enough (MessageIds)
candidates (Serm will forward)

(b) improve control flow of test cases:

- Test Case COntrol flow: it appears there is a need to handle non-linear test steps:
exception handling (associating an event/message, with a sequence of test steps)(Tim)
- better branching capabilities.
- need to be able to run a test case without imposing a linear order on test steps,
and not imposing a strict order on messages received.
(equivalent to running "concurrent threads" that send and get their own messages,
not necessarily serialized in a specific way.)
- Serm/Monica: will verify if testing BSI and processes, requires some parallel branching.

(c) enhanced message manipulation (payload, header) support:
- message templates (support (a) as well), with "mutation operators". (XSLT, XPath)
- conditions on message elements: semantic rules (Schematron?)
challenge is to NOT overload TFk with 3rd party tools, but make these pluggable.

Also, some issue around initialization of test cases: RPC should be used to
communicate configuration set-up.