Subject: Re: [ebxml-iic] next meeting Monday 15

Jacques Durand wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> I heard good things about the IIC demo last Tuesday, (though certainly
> a "testing" demo is not as sexy
> as a traditional choreography-based  interop demo... )

Congratulations to everyone on your success!

Jacques, in one of our recent meetings, you asked for a definition of
exceptions. I have outlined it in the context of BPSS as well as more
generally as exceptions may occur and be related to errors.

If you look back to metamodel definitions, an exception is a condition
that will cause a use case to terminate before its normal completion. I
place a caveat on this because there could be exceptions that result in
warnings whereby a process continues (have been identified to occur
although not explicit in the metamodel nor explicitly defined in BPSS).
Exceptions could be control or process related - some are substantive
(related to timeToPerform), others are not.  In BPSS, exception signals
relate to negative Receipt and Acceptance Acknowledgement and are called
protocol exceptions. There are also timeout exceptions on the RA and AA.
Receipt exceptions relate to syntax, authorization, sequence or
signature. Acceptance exceptions relate to performance or business
processing.

In the context of test design and execution, we can discuss if these
definitions were what you were looking for and what other information is
required. Thanks.