Subject: Re: 1_1 comments

Monica,

   Thanks for your comments re: the Test Framework errata sheet. Here is my belated response
(had the flu this week)

Thanks,
Mike

mm1: Comments on Errata document:
Scripting Parameters
Several scripting parameters seem to indicate that something can be
customized, which is inline with our discussions today -  distinguish
implementation from the specification of the framework. This brings up
the question whether or not an entity may or may not allow
specialization. For example, an industry may not allow test suite to
change the message structure or context because it defines an
enumeration set or has a fixed set of minimum required elements. It may
wish to enforce that rigor on any testing of a constrained structure. Do
we need some overall flag that allows some of this specialization or
not, or just assume maximum flexibility? Is this part of the
configuration group?

[MIKE] - If we want a truly "flexible" framework, then constraints would be defined by
the industry ( i.e. they define their own "guidelines" for defining their configuration).
We have done that with ebXML Messaging ( defining configuration parameters, message
declaration syntax ).     Rosettanet could do the same

#12 Can we get more details on Block and Release test operations
specified by Woo? This looks like constraints on use of synch/asynch (?).

[MIKE]  - I have not heard from Woo on this, but have proceeded along the line that this is
a synch/asynch issue, and have modified the ebTest.xsd schema to reflect a possible solution
to this ( also using Jacques input regarding exception threads )

General
Separating the communication between the Test Driver<-->Test Service may
help isolate what happens in the test (exercising of requirements) vs.
what happens to support the test (communication between test driver and
service). However, I believe the lines will get quite gray as we move
into business process territory.

[MIKE]  - I interpreted this isssue to be one of "separting the implementation being tested"
from the testing infrastructure ( i.e. don't use ebXML Messaging  ( what you are testing ) to communicate between
Test Driver and Test Service.  I agree with this

#13 Branching
Should support the minimum seen in BPSS:
1. either/or
2. and
3. concurrency (back to a particular join)
4. parallel (exceptions and message response, for example) where they
both are valid
to start.....

This brings up two interesting points about nesting which we could see
in BPSS where we may not be able to avoid the compositional aspects of
the testing we discussed in 12/22 call:
a. with compound binary collaborations
b. with the possibility of composition based on other than dependencies
[MIKE]  - I included a proposed XML syntax to define this logic in my latest
release of the modified Test Framework and errata sheet

b-1 differentiate outer-inner from outer handoff to inner and an inner
that is then independent [1]

[MIKE]  - I am not familiar with these BPSS scenarios, and need input as to whether
the modified schema will support this

[1] May equate to a pre-condition that must be true before another
activity starts. This is beginning to look like another ebXML set of
specifications. :>)

#16 Does this nesting of test requirements within test requirements also
speak of implementation or test suite functionality not of our
specification?  Where do we draw the line on 'packaging'? We can provide
maximum flexibility but need to still some rigor in our framework. I see
value in allowing the capability of associating a given set of
functional and test requirements [2].

[MIKE] - Nesting of requirements provides a more "structured" way to define Test Requirement
and Functional Requirement dependency ( rather than just "referencing" the ID of another requirement as a
"prerequisite").  It  would require the Test Driver to work "bottom-up" regarding which Test Requirements ( and
Test Cases ) to execute first, since those "child" Test Requirements ( and Functional Requirements ) must
first be satisfied, before the "parent" Test Requirements can be declared satisfied... so yes this is
an implementation issue for a Test Driver that is not currently defined in the specification.

[2] Note, this could be M-M, which gets back to my packaging question.

#23 Plug-ins
I would encourage you to allow an 'any' type contentType and allow
user-defined specification. I am still concerned about any reference to
a vendor-specific tool.
If we allow the user-defined abstraction, Schematron could be a best
practice defined and held in a separate guideline outside of the
specifications.

[MIKE] - I agree.  Schematron is not yet a standard... and XUpdate is also not a standard.

#24 and #25 Payload Integrity
Do we lose any community if we don't allow another 'any' selection for
other than XMLDSIG? See suggestion in #23.

[MIKE] - I do not know the answer to this question. Comments?

#26 Remote Test Driver
I can understand the concern that you want to separate pre-test
configuration from test execution. How this is accomplished is an
implementation detail IMHO, although we should allow its specification.
Same comment on #29.

[MIKE]  - I agree that it should be specified, but not explicitly define HOW it is to be implemented.
Specifying the format/schema of the configuration information for a Test Driver, without specifying
how that driver loads the information would seem to be sufficient.

#27 Errors
This might be difficult because we get closer and closer to binding to
applications, as we define these errors. And too, when we do BPSS, you
have exceptions that may result in errors (in messaging).  See
suggestion in #23.  I would indicate what errors may occur between the
test driver and service exclusively (not as a by-product of the testing
itself but between the test component infrastructure).

[MIKE] - Agreed

#30 API Definitions
Need more information on #30 API request. Can see need for #31 as it is
an important part of the test framework functionality, although
uncertain with #30.  Should
there be a minimum set of guidelines to provide some structure around an
API without implementing it? Borders on our implementation / design
discussion 12/22.

[MIKE] - It sounds like what is needed is a "formalized" expression of the calls
and data to be passed between Test Driver <-->Service <-->MSH, rather than the current "narrative"
description of this interface in the Test Framework specification.  What we are talking
about here is "interoperability mode", and what an implementer
needs to do to bind their Test Driver to their MSH implementation.