Subject: RE: Concurrent thread use cases using <If><Then><Else> syntax

Title: call this Monday
Mike:

Hard to keep -up with you...
Here is an answer to your previous comments (Sunday), not the one you just sent.

From: Michael Kass [mailto:michael.kass@nist.gov]
Sent: Monday, February 02, 2004 1:01 PM
To: Jacques Durand; ebXML IIC - main list (E-mail) (E-mail)

Jacques and all,

   Here is a "follow on" set of use case instances, using <If iftype="and/or"><Then><ElseIF><Then><Else> syntax as opposed to
<Split splitType="and/or"> and <Join>.  While these use cases do not necessarily highlight the differences or advantages
of this syntax.. more complex use cases would do so, since I do not believe it is possible to construct that type
of an instance document using <Split> and <Join> operators.
   Also, the implicit "parallelism" of a <Split> may not always be desireable.. but due to the semantics of its definition..
this is unavoidable and somtimes unnecessary or unwanted.
   Because of the limitations and implied concurrency/parallelism of the <Split> operator, I suggest using the <If><Then><Else>
constructs.. that would allow more flexible branching.. plus would permit the use of a synchronous evalution of multiple <Thread>s
using the "and" operator.  I believe that forcing all <AndSplit>s to be run as cuncurrent sub-processes limits the flexibility of the
test framework... when some scenarios may require syncronous execution of sub-processes ( such as "send/receive" ).

Regards,
Mike

scripting_issues_jd_mk3-jd3-mk4-jd4.doc