Subject: Resolution of issues during last conference call

Title: Call this Monday, and f-2-f at New Orleans
Jacques and all,

  Here is my synopsis of the issues discussed in yesterday's call.   I am beginning modification
of the test framework specification based upon these resolutions.  Please let me know if I
have correctly captured them.

Thanks,
Mike

- "sleep" step

[MIKE] - Added a <Sleep> operator to the scripting schema.  <Sleep> can be place anywhere
in the scripting ( before <TestStep>s or before <Thread>s )

- split/join, final position

[MIKE] -

Asynchronous <Thread>s will only be defined inside of a <Split>  ( agreed to by Jacques ).
Also,  <Split> may have a <Join> operator with an attribue of joinType= "andJoin" or "orJoin"

- if-then-else: where usable

[MIKE] - <If><Then><Else> can be inserted anywhere within a <Thread>.   The construct is:

<If ifType="andIf/orIf">
<Then>
<ElseIf ifType="andIf/orIf">
<Then>
</ElseIf>
<Else>
..
</Else>
</If>

- management of the message store, semantics of putting and getting messages.

[MIKE] - This was not thoroughly disccuess on the conference call due to time limitation.s
Agreed that "deletion" of messages was likley to cause side-effects in a message store when
concurrent <Thread>s are accessing the same messagestore and that an optional "masking"
of a message store ( perhaps at the <Thread> level ( i.e. having a new "virtual" message store,
local to that<Thread> whose lifecycle is the duration of that <Thread>.  Incoming messages would
go  to that <Thread>'s local message store, but would also be placed in the "global" messagestore.
<GetMessage> operations within that <Thread> would only have access to the local message
store.  Comments?  If this is an agreeable approach, then I can update the message store semantics
in the test framework specification.

- test case exit values: "pass/fail/notapplicable"? Exit statements.

[MIKE] - Agreed during the conference call that the "true" result of a
<TestAssertion> could optionally contain an exitCondition attribute whose value
may be "pass", "fail" or "not applicable".

- the PreCondition role in GetMessage.

[MIKE] - We discussed this in the ongoing mail thread, with ( I believe ) the agreement
that the test writer does not necessarily have control of all testing preconditions
(e.g. a candidate MSH may send its messagesa as "multipart/related" or "text/xml"...
so a <TestPrecondition> is necessary so as not to fail a <TestCase> because an optional
features was not implemented

[MIKE] - Other issues include:

Global Threads - <Thread>s defined at the <TestSuite> level.. Useful for such things as
global "exit" operations, or often used sets of <TestStep>s that vary only with the
<ConversationId> or <Timestamp> values.  I suggest adding a global <ThreadGroup> at the
<TestSuite> level to permit definition of such global <Thread>s.  Comments?