Subject: RE: [ebxml-iic] test case outcomes: semantics

Title: RE: [ebxml-iic] test case outcomes: semantics

inline <JD>

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Kass [mailto:michael.kass@nist.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 3:06 PM
To: Monica Martin; Jacques Durand
Cc: ebXML IIC - main list (E-mail) (E-mail); dmoberg@cyclonecommerce.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Monica Martin" <Monica.Martin@Sun.COM>
To: "Jacques Durand" <JDurand@us.fujitsu.com>
Cc: "ebXML IIC - main list (E-mail) (E-mail)"
<ebxml-iic@lists.oasis-open.org>; <dmoberg@cyclonecommerce.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 3:16 PM

> Jacques,
> Do you think it is clear enough between Undetermined and System Exception
where:
> The former is for a test case, for example, cannot fulfill its purpose
(i.e. material issue) vs. the system exception is specific to a test bed
condition (i.e. the infrastructure has failed to support the test).

[MIKE] - That's the way I see it too.  We need a clear distinction between
failure to make a "pass"/"fail" call based upon testing logic, and simple
"system failure" due to an infrastructure problem.  I think we need
4 final states of :  pass,  fail,  undetermined and exception

<JD> I think Monica was trying to say that if we keep this distinction,
it may not be clearcut in every case. For example, it could be that non-relevant material
could ALSO cause a system exception. For example, a test case is about received messages under
size N, and does not have control on the actual size of messages it receives (so it should
just ignore cases where size > N, where the outcome is "undetermined").
But some messages over N+... may cause tesbed exception.
But that's OK: that is also true for the 2 other "logical" outcomes (pass, fail) these
could be override by a system exception at any time.

> Perhaps my example could be helpful.
>
> On a secondary note, comments on your Section 7.1 revisions yesterday:
> 1. TC #1: Some confusion may still exist about message and business
acknowledgments. At the business level, we have to deal with syntax (receipt
ack), intellibility (receipt ack QOS) and semantic validation (can be
processed by an application) [acceptance ack].

[MIKE] - We can test for syntax and intelligibility (via schema validation).
Semantic validation would be done via XPath or Schematron evaluation of
content, and based upon such a result, a "canned" response to further test
BSI behavior would take place (since the Test Driver is not a reference
implementation of a BSI, test logic must follow predetermined paths based
upon received message content semantics).

<JD> I was about to do the same comment as Monica: We should leave out the ebXML MS Acknowledgment message for this use case: it complicates the example and may confuse people. However, we can add a note that says, in case an Ack is generated - or any other non relevant message - by the implementation under test, then our test case would simply ignore it, by NOT selecting it in GetMessage filters)

> 2. TC#2: The response is completely separate; there has been discussion
for example in UBL to potentially separate 'response' to an 'acceptance' or
'rejection'. It has been pointed out to me these are not the same
(structurally perhaps, semantically not).   Note: The business process
delegates to and depends (too) on the reliable messaging infrastructure, but
msg ack!=bus ack.

[MIKE] - Understood.. We'll modify this Test Case to reflect the difference.

> On above points, I would err on being explicit about the separation as
much as possible. When we get to ebBP testing, we will have to discuss how
to represent the QoS constraints usage (for example,
isIntelligibleCheckRequired). Dale might have more to add (cc: him herein).

<JD> Just let us know what kind of test condition on the message material should
verify this.

http://www.ebxml.org/case_studies/index.htm

> Thanks.

the OASIS TC), go to