Subject: Re: [ebxml-iic] comments on use case #2, and on termination of test case

Title: comments on use case #2, and on termination of test case

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 3:06 PM

Mike:

That would be satisfying: as long as we have a way to exit from a thread (abort) without
exiting from the test case.
The only argument I'd have against your position, is that it is not always on the "intuiton" side
(e.g. you spawn an error-detection thread that will explicitly exit on failure as soon as an error message is received  (<WhenTrue><Exit>Fail...) , but if you forget the <WhenFalse>Continue,
- which additionally may sound odd if at the end of a thread - then this thread wil still Fail the entire test case...)

[MIKE3] - Understood.. this wasn't the best example I could think of..

So we have now 5 possible actions to follow a Test Assertion result (either True or False):
- continue (or Continue_Thread?) (default for Assertion=True)
- abort (or Abort_Thread?)
- exit Fail (default for Assertion=False)
- exit Pass
- exit Undetermined

Am I right?

[MIKE3] - Yes.  We are implmenting now.

Additionally:
- if the test case terminates its execution (all threads?, or just main thread?) without exiting either on Fail or Undetermined, then it Passes.
[MIKE3] - Add "exception" in there as well and yes

- If a thread aborts, its container thread (or caller thread) aborts.
[MIKE3] - No.. why do we need to do this???  Why kill the parent/caller Thread in which you may wish to do your join????  Also, why not let logic
contiue to a final resolution?

- if main thread aborts: test case Fails? (abort is a logical meaning) or just Undetermined?
[MIKE3]-We'll go with undetermined, and this will only occur at the <TestCase> level ( treating TestCase as the "main" Thread).  It simplifies scripting greatly,
achieves the same goal.  Having a "main" Thread is only meaningful from a semantic view..  TestCase is in f act the main Thread.
Comments?  ( We need to move quickly on resolution of this)