Subject: RE: [ebxml-iic] synchronization issues with concurrent Threads accessing/setting the same "global" parameter

Title: RE: [ebxml-iic] Use Case #2 Termination Cases (Nesting)
Mike:
-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Kass [mailto:michael.kass@nist.gov]
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2004 8:52 AM
To: Jacques Durand; 'Monica J. Martin'
Cc: ebXML IIC - main list (E-mail) (E-mail); tsakach@certivo.net; phogan@sinotechnologies.com; Dale Moberg

Jacques,

    Another option ( if there is a chance of "synchronization problems" if 2 or more concurrent Threads are trying to read/set a parameter (e.g. mutex="true")   would be to run all of those Threads "serially".  Then, when one Thread is "elected", it sets mutex="true", and all subsequent serial Threads read that value and simply <Return>.

    Otherwise, we have to come up with a "locking" scheme for a parameter when it is accessed by a Thread, which implies a database-type mechanism to perform the lock and release.
[Jacques Durand] there are some simple semaphor programming techniques that would prevent race conditions - I also believe that Java  threads handle that natively?

    We could still permit multiple concurrent Threads to modify a global parameter, but results could be shaky if one or more of those Threads read/set that value.
[Jacques Durand]  multiple read is OK, and set can be taken care of even natively by Java threads.  We don't have to make this feature "core" for conformance to TestFramework, if not. But that should not stop us to specify it.

Comments?
Mike