Subject: Follow-on to Test Framework question

Serm,

   One more thing about schematron.  I believe that a schematron file reference could be inserted as content into the TestFramework's <ValidateContent> "schemaLocation" attribute as a way to validate the content of a message (or portion of a message).  The result of a <ValidateContent> operation in the Test Framework is a boolean, which is used to pass/fail its enclosing <TestAssertion> instruction. So you could have something like:

<GetMessage>
<Filter>....some XPath query to select received messages from the Test Harness message store...  </Filter>
<TestAssertion>
<ValidateContent @schemaLocation="mySchematronRule.xml">/TEST:FilterResult</ValidateContent>
</TestAssertion>
</GetMessage>

The above would retrieve an incoming message (or messages), run a schematron validation on the document object whose root element is /TEST:FilterResult, and ultimately return a true/false result for the validation, and subsequently the <TestAssertion> operation.

Regards,
Mike

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, October 04, 2004 10:31 AM
Subject: Re: [ebxml-iic] Test Framework Question

Thanks Mike.

I was reading Section 5-7 (TR, TP, and TC) of version 1 dated May 03. I think here is why I was confused.

Section 5 says that TR is test harness independent. Section 6 says "A Test Case is the translation of a TR (or a part of a TR), in an executable form, for a particular Test Harness".

Due to my problem context, I might have too concrete interpretation to the "Test Harness". I interpreted it as perhaps different languages, for example, I may be writing the TC in Java or in C++. That's why I was asking how the TD knows which TC to use b/c it does say which Test Harness it is associated with (maybe that's the configurationGroup element).

It seems like TC in IIC is more abstract b/c it is descriptively defined using XML and then Test Harness implemented in whatever languages reads this XML to execute the test. In my problem context, a TC is a rule written in either schematron or another rule script language. I think I understand better now.

I think I understand better now.

One more question though, why do you have Test Suite reference TCs instead of TRs. In my mind, TS is a functional grouping of tests, hence I should point to TRs. On the other hand, I see TP as arbitrary grouping of tests, so it could point to TCs. I think I am missing a lot things b/c IIC's TRs and TCs are much more complicated.

Thank you,
Serm