Subject: [ebxml-jc] submission of ebXML specs to ISO

FYI.

At the MoU meeting in Paris earlier this month, Ray Walker and I met
with Sophie Clivio from the ISO central secretariat to discuss the
submission of the ebXML specifications for approval under the ISO
process. We decided that the eight specs (TA and Req from Vienna; RS,
RIM, Msg, and CPPA from OASIS; and BPSS and CC from CEFACT) would be
submitted as a package accompanied by a cover letter that Ray and I
would write. The first six of these pieces would be submitted in
January, and the two pieces from CEFACT would be submitted as soon as
they are complete, which Ray expects will be quite soon.

The ebXML specs will be submitted to a working group formed under ISO
TC154 that includes representatives from other ISO TCs appropriate to
the various topic areas of the submission; for example, there will be a
representative from JTC1 SC32 to look at the registry specs. The TC will
vote on the individual pieces as they are submitted, so the Vienna and
OASIS pieces don't have to wait for the completion of the CEFACT pieces
in order to be approved. The specs will be considered as Technical
Specifications under the ISO process. Balloting for a TS takes three
months; we are hoping to have this completed in time to announce the
results at an ebXML program that the ebXML JMT is organizing at the XML
Europe 2003 conference in London in May.

The respective organizations (OASIS and CEFACT) will continue to own and
maintain the specs, e.g. the OASIS TCs can continue work on their specs
to advance them to v3. Later versions (e.g. v3) can also be submitted
for ISO approval at a later date. Once the specifications are finally
complete we may wish to submit them to ISO for consideration as
International Standards.

-Karl

Karl F. Best
Vice President, OASIS