Subject: [ebxml-jc] submitting ebXML specs to ISO

ebXML TC chairs:

As you're probably aware, we've been talking for quite some time about
eventually submitting the ebXML specification to another standards body
(e.g. ISO) for approval under their process. This was one of the "going
forward" goals agreed upon in Vienna at the end of the first phase of
ebXML. From the OASIS perspective we wanted to wait until the OASIS
specs (Msg, Reg, CPPA) had gone through the OASIS process, which they
all have. CEFACT's specs, CC and BPSS, are still not complete. But there
is also interest from ISO in having the specs submitted.

Last month I worked together with the folks from ISO Central Secretariat
(CS)  and with Ray Walker, representing CEFACT, to put together a
submission of the complete package of ebXML specs (TA and Req from
Vienna, the four OASIS Standards, and a cover letter; BPSS and CC would
be submitted as soon as they are complete) that would be sent out to ISO
TC154 for approval as an ISO Technical Specification (TS). Ray and I
worked towards completing the submission package thinking that the JCC
(the joint OASIS/CEFACT governance of ebXML) would have the opportunity
to review the package and ISO ballot before it went out to TC154, but
because of miscommunication ISO CS thought that the package was complete
and approved to go out, so sent the ballot to TC154. Upon hearing that
the ballot had gone out without JCC approval the JCC asked ISO CS to
withdraw the ballot until we had time to review the submission. We have
promised ISO CS that we would have a decision for them by 18 February.
(You may have heard about some of this going on, so I thought it best to
inform you what was going on.)

Between now and the 18th the JCC is considering a number of options. The
CEFACT members of the JCC would like to review the entire decision to
make sure that they are comfortable with how and where we will be
submitting. So while they are considering the decision we thought that
we should get feedback from the ebXML TC chairs also. Please get back to
me in the next week if you have any concerns about the following:

1. Is there value in submitting the ebXML specifications to be approved
under process of another organization?

We propose that the answer is Yes.

2. Should the specs be submitted individually or as a package? If
individually, should each go to a different organization or TC? If as a
package, do we have to wait for the completion of BPSS and CC to submit
any of them?

We propose that the eight specs should be submitted as a package in
order to retain the single ebXML identity.

3. To which organization should the ebXML specs be submitted?
(Candidates include ISO, ITU, W3C, others.)

We propose that the entire set of eight specifications be submitted to
ISO, to be voted upon individually; this will allow BPSS and CC to be
submitted later and not hold up the vote on the completed pieces.

4. If at ISO, which TC at ISO should the ballot go to?

We propose that TC154, the ISO TC for e-business standards, would be
most applicable to the ebXML package as a whole, but may not have
expertise in specific areas such as registry or messaging. Other TCs may
be applicable to individual ebXML specifications, e.g. JTC1 SC32 would
be appropriate for the Registry specification, but we see the benefit of
keeping the specs together as a single package. ISO CS has proposed that
TC154 start a new WG that would include participation from SC32 and
other groups that may have expertise in specific areas.

5. If at ISO, under what status? IS (International Standard) is the
highest approval level at ISO, and requires a six month ballot. TS
(Technical Specification) is easier to get approval for, and requires
only a three month ballot. Once a specs is approved as a TS it can be
later submitted for approval as an IS.

The ISO CS recommends TS because of the shorter ballot but also because
it is easier to get approval.

-Karl

Karl F. Best
Vice President, OASIS