Subject: Re: [ebxml-jc] submit to ISO?

ebXML TC chairs:

OASIS staff has been discussing with the ISO Central Secretariat (ISOCS)
the various options available to us for submitting the OASIS ebXML
specifications for approval under the ISO process. The highest level of
approval, International Standard (IS), would require nearly a year to
complete, and given that the v2.0 specs are already more than a year old
we feel that that might be a bit long. We've decided instead to submit
the specs for Technical Standard (TS), a level lower but still a
normative document. This would require only about five months for
approval and publication, and the TC can be submitted later for IS
approval. TS approval requires 2/3 vote of the P-members (participating
members) of the ISO TC.

We've decided to submit the four specs (RIM, RS, Msg, and CPPA) to ISO
TC154, which deals with e-business. While the topic of the registry
specs have some applicability to SC32 and could have been submitted
there, in discussion with ISOCS we've decided that the four specs should
stay together as a single package, and TC154 is the best place for the
combination of the four specs.

We will submit the PDFs of the specs which are available at
http://www.oasis-open.org/specs/index.php, so there's nothing else that
you need to do there. But if your TC has errata then I would appreciate
your contacting me right away (by tomorrow, please) letting me know that
you have errata that you would like to accompany the submission and when
you will be able to give that to me.

I also still need to hear from the Messaging and CPPA TCs assuarance the
that TC has no objection to OASIS submitting the specs to ISO; this
could be links to meeting minutes or a statement from the chair. (I
already have this from Registry TC.)

I appreciate your cooperation in getting this feedback from you asap so
that we can proceed with the submission to ISO.

thanks
-Karl

Karl F. Best
Vice President, OASIS
office  +1 978.667.5115 x206     mobile +1 978.761.1648
karl.best@oasis-open.org      http://www.oasis-open.org