Subject: ebXML Mktg charter (was) RE: [ebxml-jc] ... Update on eBusiness Standards Convergence ...

I have a few quick responses to some of Carol's comments:

[cag2] -- Why mention original ebXML principles?
    JBC -- I think this reference was in the ebSOA TC charter also.  It was
intended to point to, and impose, consistency with the approved ebXML
Requirements from 2001, which embodies some guiding principles like
modularity, composability, simplicity, free availability, etc.  Personally
I think those principles are still essential to anything called 'ebXML',
but that's just my opinion.

[cag5] -- Are we limited to supporting those ebXML users who *are* OASIS
members?
     JBC -- While it's not necessarily requied that we *say* this, there
are some difference in the proposed TC, from the prior
outside-of-OASIS-rules marketing effort.  Carol's in the best position to
articulate what kinds of support can be provided to nonmembers.

[cag6] -- About funds solicitation and use
     JBC -- I have the same concern as Karl expressed.

[cag7] -- Who can "welcome" changes to ebXML?
     JBC -- This depends on how OASIS negotiations with CEFACT go.  We may
(but have not yet) consider or reach some kind of agreement to pick up old
liaisons and shared efforts there.

[cag11] -- Can the Mktg TC impose duties on other TCs?
     JBC -- I agree with Carol, they cannot.  Not only do the rules not
permit this, but it's unrealistic.

[cag13] -- What relationship with other ebXML users (ebXML Asia, etc)?
     JBC -- Here's my unofficial take:
         (1) Anyone can join, and we will encourage this as we always do
         (2) The OASIS Liaison Policy applies, and provides some additional
methods
         (3) UN/ECE, as an original co-owner, may have the opportunity to
enjoy some special relationship with the work, which we need to define by
negotiation.
         (4) OASIS does retain the right to control use of the brand and
copyright, as with all our work.  Due to the widely-distributed and joint
nature of the original work, we probably will be fairly broad and
unrestrictive in our encouragement and tolerance of parallel efforts.