Subject: FW: about ebXML.org site

Title: FW: about ebXML.org site

FYI

-----Original Message-----
From: Carol Geyer [mailto:carol.geyer@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 10:53 AM
To: 'Jacques Durand'
Cc: 'Dee Schur'; 'sharon burbine'
Subject: RE: about ebXML.org site

Jacques,
I would be very excited to see an OASIS ebXML Marketing TC address the
website.

ebXML.org is a bit of an anomaly--it doesn't fall under the content
guidelines of the OASIS site, which is devoted to providing information on
Consortium activities only, nor is it an OASIS Member Section site, as UDDI,
PKI, CGM Open, LegalXML are.

Right now, most of the content updates are made by Sharon, the OASIS
webmaster, through Dee and me. We post links to any ebXML-related
information we receive on products, implementations, case studies,
announcements, regardless of whether the source is an OASIS member or not.
Most pages have disclaimers, such as:

"The following information is not comprehensive and is provided as a
community resource by the organizations listed, which are solely responsible
for the accuracy of the entries. OASIS encourage readers to evaluate this
information independently."

Our major restriction is that we don't like to use content that is
promotional or commercial in tone. Product descriptions, such as those
posted at http://www.ebxml.org/tools/index.htm, are edited to remove any
"world's best" or "industry leader" fluff. The links may very well go to
vendor pages that contain hyperbole, we just try to remove it from ebXML.org
pages.

We would be amenable to design changes for the site. We realize we're
operating with basically a homemade design now and would welcome a
professional touch with open arms. (OASIS has no budget for this, of
course.)

Content updates can continue to be made by the OASIS webmaster. If the ebXML
marketing team should want to make edits directly, I'm sure we could enable
that.

WRT news/marketing/PR material, each OASIS TC has a page for links to press
articles on its work. I would like to continue to maintain those pages. The
ebXML.org site could also feature articles about implementations, product
announcements, etc.--things that would not be appropriate for the OASIS
site.

Right now, it's difficult for us to get metrics on site usage. OASIS is
hiring a new IT manager who starts next week, and we're hoping he will get
those numbers for us on a regular basis.

Carol