Subject: RE: [ebxml-jc] Re: New discussion list request (repeat)

Title: RE: [ebxml-jc] Re: New discussion list request (repeat)

- ebxml-adopt is fine for me.
- currently traveling, and (oddly) can access my mail but no Web page: can everyone
interested in co-sponsoring this list, send email to Karl by Wed Oct 5?
me first:
jacques Durand - jdurand@us.fujitsu.com

Jacques

-----Original Message-----
From: Karl F. Best [mailto:karl.best@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2004 8:19 AM
To: ebxml-jc@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: James Bryce Clark
Subject: [ebxml-jc] Re: New discussion list request (repeat)

JC members:

Comments in regards to the TC Process:

 > 1. The name of the discussion list:
 > ebxml-adoption

We'll call it "ebxml-adoption-discuss" because we always append
"-discuss" to the end of the discussion list names. And as the process
requires that the name not be the same of the TC that may come along
later we don't want to preclude the use of "ebxml-adoption" for the TC
list name. (How about "ebxml-adopt" instead of "ebxml-adoption", just to
shorten it a bit?)

 > 3. The names, electronic mail addresses of creators:
 > names in the JC list (chairs and co-chairs of the ebXMLTCs)

This should be part of the proposal (i.e. don't require me to come up
with the list.)

Comments in regards to the proposal in general:

 > 2. A preliminary statement of scope for the TC  (see below):

This is a bit more detailed than I would normally expect for the start
of a discussion list. That's not to say that it's wrong, but I'm
wondering if some of the detail could be saved until later, and used to
get the discussion going once the list is started. This is some good
stuff, though, so we don't want to loose it -- just save some of it for
later perhaps. But if you'd rather include it all then I'll use it for
the announcement; it's up to you guys.

Also, there's a couple of places in the scope statement that sound like
TC charter language rather than "what this TC could be". For example
"Examples of supporting activities within the scope of this TC are:"
sounds like the TC exists; you should change it to "Examples of
supporting activities that could be within the scope of this potential
TC are:" etc.

(Jamie may want to comment further about the scope.)

 > Although the TC will not act as an accounting entity and will not
 > have proper funds,  it may solicit resources and contributions
 > from its members and outside its membership, for the direct funding
 > of its activities.

Note that even if funds are contributed they must be sent to OASIS and
not to the TC; the TC will have no means to collect, store, and
distribute funds as it is not a legal entity. I suspect that
contributions of in-kind resources will work best (e.g. the TC
identifies the need for printed brochures, and asks a company to have
these printed -- not ask for the company to pay money to the TC to have
this done).

-Karl