Subject: [Fwd: Re: UDEF in the UN?]

Monica and ebXML JC -
Per our conversation today, here is some of the latest material on the UDEF,
along with some conversations from the udef@opengroup.org list, copied here as
pasted emails:

http://www.opengroup.org/projects/udef/ is where the most recent activity is
taking place. It contains the mailing list activity, and will contain the
working draft of the SUMO, DOLCE and UDEF interoperability.

Register through Chris Harding, copied on this, along with Ron.

UDEF - http://www.udef.org

DOLCE - http://www.loa-cnr.it/DOLCE.html

SUMO - http://www.ontologyportal.org/

and possibly an interesting paper, which I haven't read yet...
http://websrv2.tekes.fi/opencms/opencms/OhjelmaPortaali/Kaynnissa/FENIX/fi/Dokumenttiarkisto/Viestinta_ja_aktivointi/Seminaarit/vuosiseminaari2005/FinnONTOTekes.pdf

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

UDEF Team,

As discussed in today's call, the purpose of this email is to initiate the
thread calling for technical input to the ontology comparison white paper.

During the call, the thought that UDEF and SUMO or DOLCE might co-exist as
complimentary standards was specifically mentioned by two participants - Diwakar
and Duane.

If possible, I would like to focus on this topic first since it would shape the
overall direction of the paper.

Ron Schuldt
Senior Staff Systems Architect
Lockheed Martin Enterprise Information Systems
11757 W. Ken Caryl Ave.
#F521 Mail Point DC5694
Littleton, CO 80127
303-977-1414
ron.l.schuldt@lmco.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

UDEF Team,

Here is my first draft of an outline for the white paper that Mike Daconta,
Manager of the Metadata Center of Excellence at DHS, requested last week at the
GEIA DHS-DoJ Workshop.

Title: A Comparison of Three Semantic Integration Upper Ontologies - SUMO, DOLCE
and UDEF

Purpose/Scope

Key Definitions
	e.g. - Ontology, Taxonomy, Upper Ontology, Semantic Integration

Brief Descriptions of Each Ontology
	SUMO
	DOLCE
	UDEF

Definitions/Descriptions of the Comparison Criteria
	Note: among the criteria will be structured ID vs unstructured ID

Comparison Table

Conclusions

Ron Schuldt
Senior Staff Systems Architect
Lockheed Martin Enterprise Information Systems
11757 W. Ken Caryl Ave.
#F521 Mail Point DC5694
Littleton, CO 80127
303-977-1414
ron.l.schuldt@lmco.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diwakar,

Good questions! Here are my responses indexed according to your question
numbers:

1. My answer to Mike Daconta's question regarding why a structured ID is
better was in the context of viewing slide 27 within the presentation.
Essentially I stated that a structured (intelligent) ID offers many more
search and discovery options than a randomly assigned unstructured
(unintelligent) ID. The structured ID can leverage the use of the wild
card notation (*) when conducting searches for information across
multiple systems.

The ability to query many disparate systems and then to narrow the
search criteria seems to be particularly important to law enforcement
and homeland security end-users. The following example should help
illustrate the application of a structured ID to law enforcement and
homeland security. Note -- the example assumes that all law enforcement
applications (international, federal, state and local) connected to the
law enforcement network (e.g., NLETS http://www.nlets.org/index.asp)
have been UDEF enabled with UDEF structured IDs exposed in the APIs and
the query tools (such as PDAs used by state patrol officers) have been
UDEF enabled with pre-defined UDEF names with optional wild cards for
queries. The end users (in this example law enforcement officers) do not
need to know any UDEF IDs, they simply know how to use the UDEF tree
structures (names) for those subsets of the UDEF pertinent to their
operations.

The example scenario is that a state patrol officer in California stops
a speeder headed south near the Mexican border. The person caught
speeding has an Arizona driver's license. Using his PDA, the officer
enters a query into the Arizona connection into the NLETS network (tied
to every state in the U.S. plus other countries) to determine if the
individual "John Doe" with birth date of June 1, 1970 is registered in
Arizona. The associated UDEF names and IDs are --- Person First Name
(5_4.10), Person Last Name (5_5.10), Person Birth Date (5_51.6). The
Arizona system confirms that John Doe born June 1, 1970 has a drivers
license from Arizona. The officer then queries the entire NLETS network
with a wild card UDEF query (his PDA generates *5_4.10, *5_5.10,
*5_51.6) to determine if John Doe born June 1, 1970 appears in any law
enforcement system tied to NLETS. This time the result showing hits for
"suspect" and "released criminal" as the UDEF wild card fillers shows
that John Doe is a released criminal from Seattle, Washington and is
currently a suspect in a crime in Reno, Nevada. He then requests a photo
of John Doe from the Reno, Nevada system. The officer decides to detain
the speeder for further questioning. The entire query process takes less
than two minutes.

Based on what I heard in Phoenix about NLETS, GJXDM, BTS and Homeland
Security, this is a very realistic scenario and a plausible application
for the UDEF and its structured IDs. I assume that you would see many
other applications for use of the wild card with a structured ID based
UDEF.

2. I believe the above answer addresses the unintelligent ID question
since I am assuming that a system generated ID is randomly assigned and
is not derived from the UDEF ontology.

3. If a query is targeted to a known field within an application or
multiple applications, then a system generated ID may be faster - but
the structured ID of UDEF enables wild card queries in a multitude of
possible scenarios.

4. UDEF, SUMO and DOLCE seem to share the fact that they are upper
ontologies with common objective - semantic integration. Although I need
to study SUMO and DOLCE further, there seems to be some important
differences.

The purpose of the white paper is to document the comparison (probably
in a comparison table) - but some of the differences include the
following:

a. UDEF is an instantiation of ISO/IEC 11179-5 - the other two are not
b. The UDEF provides structured IDs - the other two do not
c. UDEF is more intuitive and easier to navigate by nearly anyone who
might try using it. The UDEF only requires about 4-6 hours of training.
The UDEF is based on mappings from existing normalized data models
(standards) used by businesses today - the other two are based on
predicate calculus and first order logic. Although DOLCE seems to be
better than SUMO, the terminology of both are less intuitive than UDEF.
One needs to be a highly educated mathematician to begin to understand
and apply the other two.

Correct me if I made any incorrect assertions about SUMO
http://suo.ieee.org/SUO/SUMO/index.html or DOLCE
http://www.loa-cnr.it/DOLCE.html since I am studying both.

I hope this helps.