ebxml-msg-as4 message

Subject: Post holidays @ AS4 agenda...

Now that the July 4 holidays have passed, I'm hoping we can make some progress over the next few weeks with regards to some formal proposals on the table regarding some of the profiling points that we've talked about over the last month or so.  I've been rather busy and distracted by other work demands recently, but I'll be stepping up with some increased focus over the next few weeks.

Here's some target points that we can talk about on today's call and hopefully generate some action items to follow up on.

  1. Over the last few weeks, it seems like we were moving towards a consensus to not require WS-ReliableMessaging support, but instead move more towards Jacques' idea of "Delivery Aware" in which the eb:Receipt (MDN) will function in a dual-role as both a business non-repudiation receipt and the RM ack.  A combination of ebMSv2-esque guidance on receipt delivery timeouts, retries, and duplicate detection would provide some further delivery awareness.  We need to (a) decide if WSRM support will *NOT* be required in favor of Delivery Awareness, and (b) if WSRM is NOT required, will AS4 support it as OPTIONAL.  I like to see a formal proposal put forth.
  2. I think we need a formal proposal on the ebMSv3 Core stuff that we are basically "no-brainers" that we know we are going to support or profile out.  I talking about mostly header and metadata type stuff (including CPA and P-mode stuff).  We may have questions about some things, and that's fine and we can discuss them as they come up, but it's probably past time to have some definitive things down on paper.  Perhaps a formal proposal is a little premature, but at least we need something published to the list for discussion/review.
  3. We talked briefly last time we had the full SC together about profiling the security module, and there didn't seem to be many open questions.  I think we are close to being ready to put forth a formal proposal on this aspect of profile, with perhaps the main question being how much of the header(s) are to be included in the digital signature and encryption block.
  4. We started talking a bit about large message support, and we probably have some more conversations about that.  Of particular interest, of course, is the combination of large message support with RM or Delivery Awareness.  I'm not sure we are ready for a formal proposal, but we should make this a topic of a future phone call and perhaps one or more folks can put forth some ideas for consideration.
  5. It's probably about time that Ric Emery and myself get started on the Compression Profile for ebMS.  Do we still want to craft a general compression profile document for the ebMS TC and then have the AS4 profile reference it?
See you folks on the call...

Timothy