ebxml-msg-as4 message

Subject: Re: [ebxml-msg-as4] Compression Simple Proposal

Title: Re: [ebxml-msg-as4] Compression Simple Proposal
So... your final assessment is a +1 for Ric's suggestion?

Moberg Dale wrote:
5320_1227050778_49234F1A_5320_269014_1_822DFF5CD1096F4AA656A0F90E903E910205CD79@wbe41.phx.us.sopra" type="cite">

I think the main obstacle is that the current mime types for compression do not really define a very good encapsulation approach like those found in S/MIME or for that matter in message/* types. Gzip, for example, has not even registered with IANA, and so we have things like application/x-gzip and related extension types. There is an application/zip but it looks encumbered to me.

We can use the ebMS 3 Property extension fields as you suggest. The only other somewhat standardized approach would be to encapsulate using the S/MIME plus CMS defined compression object, as done in Terry Harding’s internet draft for AS2 compression.

Of course for AS4 we would only use the pattern

No encryption, no signature

   -RFC2822/2045

     -[COMPRESSED-DATA](application/pkcs7-mime)

       -[MIME-TYPES](application/xxxxxxx)(compressed)

   This section shows the layers of an unsigned, unencrypted compressed

   message. The first line indicates that the MIME message conforms to

   RFCs 2822 and RFC 2045 with a Content-Type of application/pkcs7-mime.

   Within the pkcs7-mime entity is a compressed MIME entity containing

   the electronic business document.

that is illustrated in the following example:

MIAGCyqGSIb3DQEJEAEJoIAwgAIBADANBgsqhkiG9w0BCRADCDCABgkqhkiG9w0BBwGg

Hnic7ZRdb9owFIbvK/k/5PqVYPFXGK12YYyboVFASSp1vQtZGiLRACZE49/XHoUW7S/0

Except we would not need or use base64 encoding when using HTTP as a transfer protocol.

That would be quite a mix of layers and technologies – S/MIME, CMS compression (with BER encoding of ASN.1 specified object), inside MIME and then referenced using a CID URL within XMLDsig for a signature. And there would be no message level encryption using xmldsig.

So, given the above and by comparison, using the ebMS 3 defined extension Properties seems almost elegant J

Dale Moberg