ebxml-msg-as4 message

Subject: Re: [ebxml-msg-as4] follow-up on Receipts

Moberg Dale wrote:
5688_1233768294_4989CF66_5688_325559_1_822DFF5CD1096F4AA656A0F90E903E910246704F@wbe41.phx.us.sopra" type="cite">

Pim writes

The ds:Reference is not required in the ebbp:NonRepudationInformation schema, it is also possible to only include a message part identifier.

 <xsd:element name="MessagePartNRInformation">
  <xsd:complexType>
   <xsd:choice >
    <xsd:element name="MessagePartIdentifier" type="bpssignal:non-empty-string"/>
    <xsd:element ref="ds:Reference"/>
   </xsd:choice>
  </xsd:complexType>
 </xsd:element>

Comment: It is true that the ds:Reference is not required by the schema but whichever choice is taken, the EDIINT requirement is that a receipt have a message digest value(s) that allow the cryptographic binding of receipt to original message for which it is a receipt. The ds:Reference option will have that capability, and it will/should have a URI (using the cid: scheme) that identifies the message part. So should we profile this to promote interoperability or leave it open?

Promote interoperability.

I really don't want this NRR/receipt thing to get too complicated.  The simplicity of the AS2 MDN should be the model IMO.  I'm willing to concede for AS4 that the ds:Reference is optional: (a) contains a hash means the receipt is a NRR and all the legal/business use that comes with that, and (b) if empty, resorts back to a ebMSv2-esque delivery acknowledgment.

For NRR to be NRR, the original sender must validate that the computed MIC returned in the receipt from the receiver matches the computed MIC performed by the sender before transport.  I think you make this as simple a process as possible with a strictly specified workflow, profiling out as many security "compositional" options as  possible -- (a) specified order to apply compression, encryption, and signature, (b) what you compress, (c) what you sign over, and (d) what you encrypt over.

-- payloads should be compressed prior to handing over to Soap w/Attachments for attaching
-- next, (detached) signature should be computed over everything in the message that hubs/gateways won't modify along the way
-- finally, message level encryption should be applied over everything that can't be obscured in order for successful endpoint delivery

The content of the ds:Reference should be explicit from profile, and not dependent on options/configuration parameters, in order to promote interoperability.  If the ds:Reference is non-empty, its content should mean one thing and one thing only IMO.  If not, then I'm open to strong arguments otherwise.