ebxml-msg-as4 message

Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg-as4] follow-up on Receipts

Maybe we can make this "alternate" method close enough to the original one so that no difference can be seen in using the  ebbp:NonRepudiationInformation in the Receipt, with the "regular" method of recomputing digests.
When looking at the  ebbp:MessagePartNRInformation children elements that are supposed to be filled in, they could indeed be obtained - I believe - directly from the signature header of the incoming message.

The main difference and interest of the "alternate method" is how these digests are obtained: instead of computing them on Receiver side, they come from the signature of the incoming message (therefore avoiding to "stream" these potentially large attachments for computing these digests.)

So in case we accept this alternate option, we could have some text like the following:

"When the User message has been signed, a Receiving MSH MAY reuse the contents of ds:Signature/ds:SignedInfo to generate the content of the eb3:Receipt/ebbp:NonRepudiationInformation element." (meaning implicitly that the Receipt does not have to exceed what has been signed).

This supports the optimization (streaming) above mentioned, avoiding the need to recompute these digests.

So the criterion for obtaining digests that way - for those AS4 implementations that are able to do this "reuse" - is not so much the size of the incoming message, but whether or not the incoming message is signed.

A question remains - raised by Pim - as to whether we allow the Receipt to target specific payload parts, or to cover exactly what the incoming Signature was covering, or to always cover all.

Jacques

From: Timothy Bennett [mailto:timothy@drummondgroup.com]
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2009 8:30 AM
To: Durand, Jacques R.
Cc: Moberg Dale; Pim van der Eijk; ebxml-msg-as4@lists.oasis-open.org

Durand, Jacques R. wrote:
0D4373E9E1236F42AB63FD6B5B306AA3C0D802@SV-EXCHANGE.fjcs.net type="cite">
I am not an NRR expert, so I may miss something here...
But the interest of this approach, is that - for large payloads - it is not necessary for the Receiver to recompute digests (problematic when using streaming for message delivery) before sending a Receipt .

In case that is not a stupid idea, I would still only promote it as an *option* available in case of large payloads...

Hypothetically, if AS4 does end up support alternative methods for NRR with this new proposal covering the "large payloads" use case, how do you see the Receiver MSH invoking one NRR method over the other?  Is this a dynamic determination at runtime that the payload qualifies as "large", or is this something that is more of a static configuration determined by Pmode parameters and trading partner relationships?