ebxml-msg-chair message

Subject: WSS discussion on IDs, MITM, plain brown wrapper and policies about unsigned arriving body and/or headers

There has been an interesting thread over in the OASIS WSS group this week apparently starting at

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/wss/200505/msg00093.html

Specific combinations of ds:Reference tricks using fragment URIRefs, header additions and encapsulations, MU semantics are mentioned that can produce some definite hazards when using WSS.

Many of these concerns resemble those that led ebMS 2.0 to take a very strict approach to signing conventions and transforms for ebMS messages.

Now that we are looking at using WSS because it has an approach to mixing XML Encryption and XML Digital Signature that we postponed during ebMS 2.0 discussions, it would be good to consider the specific policy conventions on WSS level signing for ebMS 3.0 messages. There are some good new details here that we need to have default working solutions for. We may need to have both an enveloped signature (similar to that in 2.0), and the detached signature typical  for WSS and WS-I BSP. The latter may need some special cautionary notes.

Dale Moberg