Subject: Re: Some Issues with the Reliable Messaging Specification inVersion1.0 of ebMS

David,

While I certainly agree that it "... isn't feasibile to create *manual*
database entries for ...", no one ever said that this was a manual
process;-)

Also, when you say "No, you really don't need a CPA." and follow that
with a statement that suggests that you "can't imagine a system without
some sort of TP database", you are in fact arguing against yourself.

What I think is a clearer position would be to state that there is no
requirement that there be a physical CPA *document* conforming to
the CPP/CPA specification for the ebXML MSH to function.

However, as you correctly cite, there needs to be something. What the
ebXML MS spec calls for is that the information that is referenced as defined
in the CPA as defined by the CPP/CPA specification MUST be available
to the runtime. Whether that is by virtue of defaults that the system
knows of through some other means or whether these values are derived
from some manner of TP database or whether they are read directly
from a document that conforms to the CPP/CPA specification is implementation
specific detail about which the specification should make no claims
whatsoever, IMHO.

The issue of "bootstrap" situations has (unfortunately) not been
addressed within ebXML formally in terms of a specification or whitepaper
that defines a normative approach to dynamic negotiation of a CPA to
enable the exchange of messages via ebXML MS. This is (I believe) where there is
much confusion and disagreement. It is certainly a topic that should
be undertaken jointly by the MS and CPP/CPA TCs as part of their
work going forward.

Cheers,

Chris