Subject: RE: T2 SyncReply and ReliableMessagingMethod in QualityOfServiceInfo

From: Martin W Sachs [mailto:mwsachs@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2001 9:26 AM
To: ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: "Chris Ferris"
Subject: RE: T2 SyncReply and ReliableMessagingMethod in

---------------------- Forwarded by Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM on 08/07/2001
10:25 AM ---------------------------

Martin W Sachs
08/07/2001 10:24 AM

To:   David Fischer <david@drummondgroup.com>
cc:
From: Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
      QualityOfServiceInfo  (Document link: Martin W. Sachs)

Again, be careful with the ACKS.

If the To and From parties are separated from each other by intermediaries
A, B, C in series, and B can't do reliable messaging:

a) It doesn't matter that B can't do reliable messaging if the reliable
messaging protocol is betwen the To and From parties' MSHs, which is what
it should be.  The job of hops A, B, and C is simply to move the message
along.  I suppose that the A-B and B-C hops could do their own reliable
messaging under the covers but, as I said in the earlier posting, if C
loses the message before forwarding it to the To party, then the fact that
A-B and B-C are doing reliable messaging is of no value.  The message still
won't get to the To party.

b) Aside from that, if hop B-C is generally unreliable, reliable messaging
can still be done between the To and From parties.  However, the To party's
MSH may have a higher than normal frequency of retries because of the low
quality of hop B.

Regards,
Marty

*****