Subject: Re: T2 SyncReply and ReliableMessagingMethod in QualityOfServiceInfo

David,

I think that you must have misunderstood then.

DeliveryReceipt has ALWAYS BEEN a business level response
message.

Acknowledgment is not exclusive to use when there are
intermediaries. Acknowledgment is for MSH RM use exclusively.
We left DeliveryReceipt in the spec (actually calling out the
clear distinction between it and Acknowledgment) so as to provide
for use for business "signals" ala RosettaNet as prescribed by BPSS.

ToParty != MSH
"ToParty MSH" == MSH

ToParty == Application
FromParty == Application

This has always been the case. That is the reason for the
very clear distinction between ToParty and ToParty MSH.

The DeliveryReceipt, or NonRepudiationReceipt serve *business*
functions, not messaging functions. The source and target of a
DeliveryReceipt is an application, the "ToParty", not the messaging
software.

Cheers,

Chris
David Fischer wrote:

> No Chris, that's not what we decided.   We had long (heated) discussions about
> this in London and David (B) assured us that Acknowledgements were for
> intermediate hops only.  Acknowledgement (sp) only goes back to the previous
> hop.  This is why it is only in the Via.
>
> The DeliveryReceipt in the MSH is absolutely not a business level receipt.  The
> only mechanism we have to do end-to-end RM is through DeliveryReceipt.  Section
> 8.14 says
>
>         "The DeliveryReceipt element is an optional element that
>         is used by the To Party that received a message, to let the
>         From Party that sent the original message, know that the
>         message was received."
>
> This is only for receipt purposes -- no business processes.  We even built in
> NRR (critical functionality IMO).
>
> David Fischer
> Drummond Group.

begin:vcard
n:Ferris;Christopher
tel;cell:508-667-0402
tel;work:781-442-3063
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Sun Microsystems, Inc;XTC Advanced Development
version:2.1
email;internet:chris.ferris@east.sun.com
title:Sr. Staff Engineer
fn:Christopher Ferris