Subject: RE: T2 SyncReply and ReliableMessagingMethod in QualityOfServiceInfo

David,

I think I am repeating myself but I have to reply here.  A message is sent
from a From party to a To party.  The only way to guarantee that it go to
the To party and was persisted there is for the ACK to be sent from the To
party's MSH to the From Party's MSH.  (and the only way for the From party
to be sure that it didn't get there in the absence of a business-level
reply is for the From Party's MSH to post a guaranteed delivery failure
notification where the From application can find it.

Certainly an adjacent pair of pass-through intermediaries can forward
messages between themselves reliably "under the covers" but I have no idea
why they would do so since they have no skin in the outcome.  The only ones
the outcome matters to are the From and To parties.

An intermediary which participates in the collaborative process is a whole
other ball of wax.  For that case, the intermediary is in fact the From
party for some messages and therefore is a RM endpoint.

Regards,
Marty

Martin W. Sachs
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center