Subject: RE: T2 - Assertions and Questions

Colleen,

Thanks for the feedback. Apparently, I made myself imperfectly clear. Or,
imperferctly clear :)

My premise is that there are no intermediaries for us to be concerned about
in the messaging spec, therefore, no black boxes and no magic are needed. I
understand that this is different thinking from what was attempted in the
spec. So, I'm either so completely off base that these ideas will die from
neglect, or, looking at the problem differently might bring out a valid,
alternate approach.

Looking at the sequence I described, there is a single point at which you
cross the boundary between the From Party and the To Party and this is the
only chasm we must cross. I think of it as a small gap over a very deep pit.
(Imagine Indiana Jones trying to find the Holy Grail where he must take a
step but there doesn't seem to be a bridge!) We don't need to walk very far,
but we must be able to cross over or return safely.

The rest of the processes, regardless of how many steps, messaging
protocols, software applications, brokers and 3rd parties are involved, all
represent either the From Party or the To Party. Each of these chains may be
very long, and I think we can only expect to define that one missing link.

All of this is from a messaging point of view. There should be higher level
processes defined, but I don't think that's our job.

And just to get in a "weakest link" reference.... "Goodbye"

David Smiley
Director of Standards
Mercator