Subject: Re: T2, Proposed solution for ... Re: SyncReply andReliableMessagingMethod in QualityOfServiceInfo

   Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 09:04:29 -0500
   From: David Fischer <david@drummondgroup.com>

   Intermediate duplicate detection precludes retries by the From Party MSH.

If we deal with the whole issue of intermediaries by using a layered
approach, we would not have this problem.

Consider the analogy with the Internet protocol stack.  TCP (at layer
4) is defined to be once-and-only-once.  It's built on IP, which is
built on link-level (layer 2) protocols.

The link-level protocols do not promise (in their contract to the
higher layers) any kind of retransmission of data, but some of them do
retransmission anyway (going beyond what they promised to do), because
they are in a good position to retransmit efficiently and the net
effect is to reduce the amount of retransmission that the higher
layers have to do, thus increasing net performance.

Analogously, In the layering of ebXML MS that I and others have been
suggesting, we should have end-to-end reliable messaging, with the
IM's not *promising* to be reliable; an IM could drop a message or
duplicate a message, without breaking its contract.  An IM might do
duplicate elimination anyway (going beyond what it promised to do) for
the sake of improving overall performance, but that would be entirely
invisible to the higher-layer ebXML MS protocol.  And so, intermediate
duplication detection would *not* preclude retries by the From Party MSH.

-- Dan