Subject: RE: T2 Clarify TimeToLive

I agree that TTL is something that is used exclusively by the messaging
layer. I was just trying to explain that there may be many criteria used to
determine what's it value should be some are technical and some could be
business related. The issue is do we want to put this type of explanation in
the spec.

David

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Ferris [mailto:chris.ferris@sun.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2001 7:37 AM
To: Burdett, David
Cc: 'Arvola Chan'; David Fischer; ebXML Msg

David B makes some good points. There are indeed two considerations.
However, I think that I agree with Dan that the TTL for the messaging
layer should be separate from any business-level TTL which would
be stated in the BPSS document referenced by the CPA and managed by
some eBusiness Server component.

Ultimately, the business decides what the values of the various
parameters are intended to be, but for our purposes, the value of TTL
should be something that the messaging layer uses exclusively.

Cheers,

Chris

"Burdett, David" wrote:

> Currently TimeToLive is defined in section 8.4.6.4 as ...
>
> The TimeToLive element indicates the time by which a message should be
> delivered to and processed by the To Party.
>
> ... and in section 10.2.3 as ...
>
> The TimeToLive value indicates the time by which a message should be
> delivered to and processed by the To Party.
>
> What I think you are suggesting is that we provide guidance on how it
should
> be set. There are two factors which can affect this:
> 1. Setting it to a value long enough so that it is longer that the time
> required to do all the retries on all the hops between the From and To
> Parties. By definition this is not precisely computable.
> 2. Setting it to a value that makes sense in a business context, e.g. if
> this PO gets there in a day then it is fine.
>
> I think adding this to the spec as a non-normative note is a good idea.
>
> David

RetryInterval