Subject: Re: T2 Retry with Delivery Receipt

Marty,

The SMTP "intermediaries" are not ebXML MSH intermediaries
and thus there is no analogy at all.

The whole point I make is that there isn't an unreliable
ebXML MSH intermediary involved when OnceAndOnlyOnce is
in play for a message.

Cheers,

Chris

Martin W Sachs wrote:

> Sure but it is an example of how ebxml end to end RM can work through
> unreliable IMs.

> Martin W. Sachs
> IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
> P. O. B. 704
> Yorktown Hts, NY 10598
> 914-784-7287;  IBM tie line 863-7287
> Notes address:  Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM
> Internet address:  mwsachs @ us.ibm.com
>
> Christopher Ferris <chris.ferris@sun.com> on 09/13/2001 01:40:58 PM
>
> To:   Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
> cc:   Dan Weinreb <dlw@exceloncorp.com>, david@drummondgroup.com,
>       ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org
> Subject:  Re: T2 Retry with Delivery Receipt
>
> Marty,
>
> AN SMTP node is NOT an MSH node. It is not part of the equation.
> The MSH nodes that are communication via SMTP are the ones that
> adopt the RM protocol of retries in the absence of an Acknowledgment.
> The SMTP nodes are incidental.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris
>
> Martin W Sachs wrote:
> >
> > Re:  "I think David's position is that we can't do that, because there
> are
> > hosts/entities out there that (a) must participate as ebXML MS IM's,
> > and (b) that are unreliable.  The question is whether there's a use
> > case demonstrating this."
> >
> > There is one major use case, which is SMTP.  SMTP intermediate nodes are
> > notoriously unreliable and only acknowledge to the previous node so a
> > sender has no idea whether the message got to its destination.  ebXML on
> > top of SMTP is one of the major reasons for having ebXML reliable
> messaging
> > and only end to end reliable messaging helps with SMTP.  I don't know if
> > there is a use case for ebXML unreliable intermediaries but if there is,
> > end to end RM is the answer.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Marty

> > Martin W. Sachs
> > IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
> > P. O. B. 704
> > Yorktown Hts, NY 10598
> > 914-784-7287;  IBM tie line 863-7287
> > Notes address:  Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM
> > Internet address:  mwsachs @ us.ibm.com

> > Dan Weinreb <dlw@exceloncorp.com> on 09/13/2001 12:55:02 PM
> >
> > Please respond to Dan Weinreb <dlw@exceloncorp.com>
> >
> > To:   chris.ferris@sun.com
> > cc:   david@drummondgroup.com, ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org
> > Subject:  Re: T2 Retry with  Delivery Receipt
> >
> >    Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 11:48:33 -0400
> >    From: Christopher Ferris <chris.ferris@sun.com>
> >
> >    > The only problem is that the addition of multi-hop interferes with
> > end-to-end
> >    > retries (duplicates) which, as we have seen, is a fundamental
> > functional
> >    > requirement under all circumstances when a Delivery Receipt is
> > requested but not
> >    > received.
> >
> >    You're asking for retries on top of retries. What happens when the
> > end-to-end
> [...]
begin:vcard
n:Ferris;Christopher
tel;cell:508-667-0402
tel;work:781-442-3063
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Sun Microsystems, Inc;XTC Advanced Development
adr:;;One Network Drive;Burlington;Ma;01803-0903;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:chris.ferris@east.sun.com
title:Senior Staff Engineer
fn:Christopher Ferris