Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] Sign and Encrypt

Arvola, David,

The envelope is not encrypted prior to signing. Payload
encryption is beyond the scope of current MS spec.
Encrypting the envelope requires the addition of
transforms for exclusion of Via etc. that are transient in communication.
Given these, though an important need for privacy,
 we may delay specing it till v1.2 (meanwhile XML Encryption
will mature too).
Cheers,
-Suresh

-----Original Message-----
From: Arvola Chan [mailto:arvola@tibco.com]
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2001 2:17 PM
To: David Fischer; ebXML Msg

David:

You proposed order of signing before encrypting works only if the MSH
takes care of both signatures and encryption.

In the current Messaging spec, the MSH is responsible for signing but
not encryption. Therefore, if you are concerned with persistent encryption
of the payload portion of an ebXML message, the encryption will have to
be performed first. The encrypted payload(s) will then have to be passed to
the MSH for packaging and signing.

Regards,
-Arvola