Subject: Re: [ebxml-msg] FW: some problems with MAY?

The word MAY MUST NOT be used in discussing alternatives. I agree with
Jacques Durand's comments.  Thhe word OPTIONAL MUST also be avoided.
RFC2119 (which we all claim to conform to) defines MAY and OPTIONAL as
something that is optional for implementers.  I believe that MAY/SHOULD or
MAY/MUST is still potentially confusing.

THE CPP-CPA specification has a paragraph directly below the RFC2119
declaration that attempts to clarify things with regard to elements and
attributes that are "optional".

In discussing elements or attributes that are sometimes used and sometimes
not, the CPPA team adopted the convention of using the DTD type keyword or
explicitly stating the cardinality (0 or 1, 0 or more) rather than saying
"MAY" or "OPTIONAL".

Except where something IS optional for implementers, we should  completely
avoid the word MAY.  In some of Jacques' examples, the word "might" could
safely be substituted for MAY.

Anyone who has not read RFC2119 should read it.  It's a very short
document.

Regards,
Marty

Martin W. Sachs