Subject: Re: [ebxml-msg] Comments on SyncReply

David:

I suggest rephrasing (1) as:

If syncReply is set to true and if the CPA indicates an application
response is included, then it must be the case that the application
has not finished processing the earlier copy of the same message.
Therefore, wait for the response from the application and then
return that response synchronously over the same connection that
was used for the retransmission.

If you take a look at the minutes for the 10/22 call
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ebxml-msg/200110/msg00174.html

you will see that the resolution for issue 9 is recorded as:

"CPPA team will be asked to include a mshSignalsOnly sync reply
mode."

In other words, the sender should set syncReply to true if the CPA
indicates a syncReplyMode other than "none". If the receiver sees
syncReply=true and the CPA indicates mshSignalsOnly, then it
will return only the Ack synchronously. If the CPA indicates
signalsOnly, signalsAndResponse, or responseOnly, then the
MSH must wait for the corresponding application response before
returning that response (along with the Ack) synchronously.

For better alignment between MSG and CPPA, I propose that we
replace the syncReply boolean attribute with the same
syncReplyMode attribute used in the CPP/A.

Regards,
-Arvola