Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] Encryption/Encapsulation

Arvola,

Why would an decryption key be tied to a service?  It could be tied to the
From/CPAId I suppose  The same service might be used by many parties.  In any
case, when I encrypt something for you then I use your Public-key which means it
is YOUR key which does the decryption.

Which headers are used should be implementation specific.  This is just another
message to be constructed by the MSH.  I would think you MUST have a
MessageHeader (From/To/MessageData/CPAId etc.) and a Manifest (with a single
reference).  You could have other headers like AckRequested.  I think we should
not dictate which headers.  This message should be constructed as any other.  I
only point out that it is not necessary to recraft all the headers since many
(especially MessageHeader) can simply be copied from the original with a change
in Service/Action.  In the case of encryption, even the MessageId could remain
the same -- although maybe/maybe-not in other cases like adding a payload.  We
would need to think about the possibilities?

Regards,

David Fischer.

-----Original Message-----
From: Arvola Chan [mailto:arvola@tibco.com]
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2001 10:59 AM
To: David Fischer; ebXML Msg

David:

Can you please clarify what header elements, if present in the message being
encapsulated, need to be copied to the encapsulating message?

Also, if the purpose of the encapsulation is to have both the header
container and the payload container(s) of the original message encrypted,
are you assuming that all such encrypted messages destined for one PartyId
would be encrypted using the same encryption key and algorithm? Otherwise,
how can the encapsulated messages be properly decrypted by the same Service
(uri:www.oasis-open.org/messageService/)?

If the purpose of encapsulation is to send fragments of a large message as
multiple encapsulated messages, then the Receiving MSH must recombine the
fragments into the original message before "reprocessing it as a new
message".

Regards,
-Arvola