Subject: [ebxml-msg] minutes of nov-13 f2f meeting

OASIS Messaging TC Face 2 Face Nov 13-15, 2001

November 13, 2001

- Role
East Coast
Dan Weinreb
Ian Jones
Ralph Berwanger
Colleen Evans
Bruce Pedretti
Shirley Wu - non-voting
Sally Wang - non-voting
Chris Ferris

West Coast
David Burdett
David Fischer
Doug Bunting
Brian Gibb
Brad Lund
Iwasa
Dale Moberg
Jaques Durand - non-voting
Jeff Turpin - non-voting
Cliff Collins - non-voting
Hima
Arvola Chan

- Selection of secretary - Chris volunteers for 13th
- David Burdett - reverse routing proposal, lengthy discussion. move to
reconsider for v2.0.

Lunch/Breakfast

- motion raised by David F, do we remove TraceHeaderList? Ralph seconds.
    discussion:
        Sybase indicates that they do use THL for the Sender URL to
respond to PING
        in a manner similar to what DB described in his reverse routing
discussion
        used to be called routing header, but the name was changed
because that was not
        its intened use. DB says it is really the decision of the
business. Ralph agrees.
        Dale mentioned that v1.1 of CPPA will have deliveryChannels
specified for
        the MSH services
vote
    against:
        Colleen Evans
    abstain:
        none
    agree:
        Dan Weinreb
        Ralph Berwanger
        Bruce Pedretti
        Chris Ferris
        David Burdett
        David Fischer
        Doug Bunting
        Brian Gibb
        Brad Lund
        Iwasa
        Dale Moberg
        Hima
        Arvola Chan

motion passes

- motion to remove DeliveryReceipt raised by Chris, David Fischer seconds
    discussion: Doug argued that DR and Ack are essentially identical in
their
        use and semantic behavior.
vote
    against:
        none
    abstain:
        none
    agree:
        Dan Weinreb
        Ralph Berwanger
        Colleen Evans
        Bruce Pedretti
        Chris Ferris
        David Burdett
        David Fischer
        Doug Bunting
        Brian Gibb
        Brad Lund
        Iwasa
        Dale Moberg
        Hima
        Arvola Chan

motion passes

- discusion of syncReply attribute. really only needed when there are
intermediaries.
    Chris suggests that creating a new element SyncReply with
actor="next" would
    really be needed. Doug agrees. Need to target next SOAP node, not
just next
    MSH node.

- motion to remove syncReply from everywhere raised by Brad Lund, David
Fischer
    seconds
    discussion: Ian asks, does this mean that there is no way to request
that the
        connection be held open. Dale says that this is up to the
configuration of
        the two endpoints to work out. Doug restates Chris' apparent
proposal for
        a SyncReply element replacing Via (that only has syncReply
attribute now
        anyway).
    Chris offers friendly amendment to Brad's motion to add SyncReply
SOAP extension
    element targetted at actor=next with mustUnderstand.
vote
    abstain:
        none
    against:
        none
    agree:
        Dan Weinreb
        Ralph Berwanger
        Colleen Evans
        Bruce Pedretti
        Chris Ferris
        David Burdett
        David Fischer
        Doug Bunting
        Brian Gibb
        Brad Lund
        Iwasa
        Dale Moberg
        Hima
        Arvola Chan

motion passes

- motion to remove Via raised by David F, Chris seconds
vote
    against:
        David Burdett
    abstain:
        none
    agree:
        Dan Weinreb
        Ralph Berwanger
        Colleen Evans
        Bruce Pedretti
        Chris Ferris
        David Fischer
        Doug Bunting
        Brian Gibb
        Brad Lund
        Iwasa
        Dale Moberg
        Hima
        Arvola Chan

motion passes

YALDAWONTIAC (yet another lengthy discussion about whether or not there
is a CPA)

Ian asks everyone to consider the notion that the ebXML MSH does not
support
spontaneous unnegotiated e-commerce

lunch/break

Ian relinquishes chair to Brian Gibb
Brian accepts chair

motion raised by Ian - limit scope of v1.1 to pre-existing trade
agreements (eg. CPA), Chris seconds
discussion:
    Brian, so what? how is this actionable? not clear that this motion
accomplishes. too general
    and not specific enough. Ralph hole in the spec because we don't say
how to address
    conflicts between message and "CPA". David, should be able to send a
message to
    somebody without any prior agreement. Ralph, thinks that most
businesses do operate
    under an agreement. Brian agrees that is his experience. David; what
happens when the
    messages need to be changed? how is this handled? is the
contract/agreement renegotiated?
vote
    against:
        David Burdett
        David Fischer
        Hima
    abstain:
        Iwasa
    agree:
        Dan Weinreb
        Ian Jones
        Ralph Berwanger
        Colleen Evans
        Bruce Pedretti
        Chris Ferris
        Doug Bunting
        Brian Gibb
        Brad Lund
        Dale Moberg
        Arvola Chan

motion carries

motion by Ian: add wording to section 1.1.4 strong recommendation to
read and understand CPPA specification and its implications on
implementation, Dale seconds

    discussion: David; you need to have information equivalent to what
is available in CPA. Colleen, calls out line 418
in v1.08 which seems to say this already. Ian; still need the strong
recommendation...
vote
    against:
    abstain:
        Brad Lund
        Doug Bunting
        David Burdett
        Iwasa
        David Fischer
        Hima
    agree:
        Dan Weinreb
        Ian Jones
        Colleen Evans
        Bruce Pedretti
        Chris Ferris
        Dale Moberg
        Arvola Chan
        Ralph Berwanger

motion carries

motion raised by Ian; In section 1.1.4 add wording for an assumption
that a pre-existing trading relationship
and agreement exists between the two parties, Dan seconds.

    discussion:
        Colleen; we already have wording in the con-ops section (~line
415 in section 1.2.3), should be
        sufficient. Dale agrees. Chris agrees. Doug; this conflicts with
line 399. Others think it consistent.
        Doug; why is this mentioned twice? Ralph; David B, section 1.2
is normative in the spec, right?
        so as normative text, we really don't need to make this change
to caveats and assumptions, do we?
vote
    against:
        Ralph Berwanger
        Colleen Evans
        Bruce Pedretti
        Chris Ferris
        David Burdett
        Doug Bunting
        Brian Gibb
        Brad Lund
        Iwasa
        Dale Moberg
        Arvola Chan
    abstain:
        Hima
        David Fischer
    agree:
        Ian Jones
        Dan Weinreb

motion does not pass

Ian; why were we arguing, we never changed anything. David F; because we
made an agreement
in the spring not to require a CPA.

Brian relinquishes chair to Ian
Ian accepts chair

Ian; what do we want to do about duplicateElimination/idempotency? Is
this an issue?
Dale; yes, it is for CPPA. need to add duplicate elimination. Doug; it
is up to the higher levels
of the application to determine whether the receiving MSH should filter
out duplicates, or whether
it can treat the (duplicate) message in an idempotent manner. Placing
duplicateElimination
in the header is misplaced. It is also something that does not need to
be directly reflected
in the CPA. Dale; detecting duplicates has to be agreed by both sender
and receiver.
DavidB; so you're saying that idempotency is related to the service and
action? DavidF
wonders: say I'm sending a bunch of EDI messages to the same service and
action? Would
it change on a message by message basis? DavidF thinks Chris is right!
for a given service
and action, duplicate elimination is not going to change, put it in the CPA.

motion by Doug; remove QOSInfo and move DE attribute as a parameter in
the section
that discusses parameters that are necessary to configure an MSH. Chris
seconds.

    discussion:
    Ralph; wants to raise what was agreed in the Dallas meeting about
what we agreed
    to do for 1.1. If we don't draw a line in the sand, then 1.1 may as
well be 2.0. Frustrated
    that we're doing something to QOS or another of the elements. David
F asks, yeah, why are
    we making this change. Dan; because there is an inconsistency (bug)
in the spec because
    we don't say to an implementer what to do when DE says one thing and
the CPA says another!

vote
    against:
        bruce, ralph, colleen, david, david, iwasa, hima, brad, brian
    abstain:
        none
    agree:
        doug, dale, arvola, chris, dan

motion does not pass

motion raised by Ralph; we agree that one or the other (message header
or CPA) takes precedence.
Colleen seconds. David F thirds.
    DavidF offers friendly amendment that the CPA takes precedence.
Colleen offers friendly
    amendment to amendment CPA or its equivalent.
    revised motion: we agree that the CPA or its equivalent takes
precedence over the messageheader.

discussion:
    a bunch of side discussions.
against:
    dan, david, david, ralph, colleen, Ian (tie-break)
abstain:
    brad, iwasa, doug, brian
agree:
    dale, arvola, hima, chris, bruce

motion does not pass

motion raised by DB; information in the header actually overrides info
in the CPA.

discussion:
    Ralph; seems like we're trying to engineer this on the fly. The
longer we chase this
    rabbit around the tree, the more likely we'll make an incorrect
decision. Ralph wants
    time to think about this, suggest we table 'til morning.

meeting adjurned