Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] Proposed "idempotent" parameter and attribute and CPAelement

Chris said:

  The sender of a message cannot really know whether the
  receiver's application/service has idempotent semantics,
  it can only assert whether or not it wants
  these semantics to be applied.

Exactly!  This is why it was OK to have a value called duplicateElimination.
The sender is making a request.

Changing from deliverySemantics to duplicateElimination was just a name change.
It was not good but it was tolerable.  This is a fundamental change.  We are
only supposed to be making fixes and clarifications.  This does neither and does
not improve over the original deliverySemantics attribute at all.

Regards,

David Fischer
Drummond Group.

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Ferris [mailto:chris.ferris@sun.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2001 7:50 AM
To: Dan Weinreb
Cc: ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Re: [ebxml-msg] Proposed "idempotent" parameter and attribute
and CPA element

Dan,

Thanks for this. Some comments though. Typically, it is the function that
is idempotent, not the input. My understanding of our discussion had been
that the sender of a message, by adding the idempotent attribute was
asserting
that the processing of that message MUST be idempotent (or not). How the
receiver
chooses to implement this is strictly up to the receiver. The receiving MSH
MAY know, through some unspecified means, that the application/service
that is intended to process the message has asserted that its function
is idempotent
(such as in the case of a request for status or a functional equivalent of a
typical HTTP GET). In this case, the MSH need not perform filtering to
eliminate
a potential duplicate message.

OTOH, the receiving MSH may know, through some similarly unspecified
means, that the application/service's function is NOT idempotent as in the
case of a message debiting some account, in which case the MSH MUST
assume responsibility to ensure that any duplicate message is filtered and
prevented from being received by the application/service.

The sender of a message cannot really know whether the receiver's
application/service
has idempotent semantics, it can only assert whether or not it wants
these semantics
to be applied.

Cheers,

Chris