Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] More Editiorial Comments (Fw: duplicateElimination and7.5.2 & others)

Dan, I almost agree with you.  We have discussed whether duplicate Elimination
is actually performed if duplicateElimination is false.  What I remember is we
decided it was not forbidden.

I think the rest of 3.1.7.1 makes the bullets correct.

Regards,

David.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Weinreb [mailto:dlw@exceloncorp.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2001 11:45 AM
To: arvola@tibco.com
Cc: ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org; mwang@tibco.com
Subject: Re: [ebxml-msg] More Editiorial Comments (Fw:
duplicateElimination and 7.5.2 & others)

   Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 08:34:51 -0800
   From: Arvola Chan <arvola@tibco.com>

   >section 7.5.2 item 2a.  (line1663-1667)
   >this does not fall inline with my current understanding of use
   >of duplicateElimination attribute.
   >
   >it should say: MUST NOT deliver to application ONLY WHEN
   >duplicateElimination is TRUE.

I'm not sure that this change is needed, because if
duplicateElimination had been false, nobody would have stored the
MessageId in the persistent list.  The persistent list of MessageId's
is only there for duplicate elimination; at least that's how I imagine
implementing all this.  So if a matching MessageId is found in
persistent memory, then you know that duplicateElimination must have
been requested.

On the other hand, if duplicateElimination is not being requested
for this message, the receiving implementation can avoid the
cost of looking up the MessageId in the persistent store.

By the way, section 3.1.7.1 still isn't exactly right.  It says:

   Valid values for duplicateElimination are:
    true -- this results in a delivery behavior of At-Most-Once.
    false -- this results in a delivery behavior of Best-Effort.

This is only the case if acknowledgements are not being used.