Subject: Re: [ebxml-msg] Re: Comments on the 1.09 about ConversationId

Gimme a break, Dan!  I didn't imply any of that.

No, we shouldn't set constraints like that on the BPSS.  We could't do it
even if we wanted to.  On the other hand, we have to be careful about
heaping complexity on top of complexity to support use cases that aren't
realistic.

It is not reasonable, in my mind, to define a business process that emits
two messages that have no responses and expect them to be always received
in the order in which they were issued. Your particular use case only says
that the messages have to be sent in a particular order.  You did not say
anything to support the conviction that they have to be received in the
same order.  I cannot imagine any reason why it would matter what order
they are received in.

A classic reason for a business response to each message is precisely to
keep the messages in order. Further, your example of using the fork or join
to deal with the ordering is exactly correct and sounds to me a lot simpler
than loading the messaging service with the ordering function per
conversation.  In fact, for this case, it is even simpler. If the shipping
notice arrives first, post a reminder that the invoice is expected.  You
surely aren't thinking that the correct ordering means that I must pay
before the shipment arrives.  By the way, if that were the case, the
payment would be the acknowledgment that maintains order since the supplier
would probably not ship until it received payment.

Please check the actual definition of that business process to see if there
any requirement that those two messages be received in the order in which
they were sent.  If so, that definition ought contain a  caveat that a
messaging system be used that keeps them in order.

Again, why would that business collaboration break if the messages were
received in the opposite order?

Regards,
Marty

Martin W. Sachs