Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] Minutes 12/03/01 - Voting Meeting

Arvola,

If AckRequested is *true* in the CPA, then does the AckRequested element have to
appear?  If it MUST appear, then why have it in the CPA?  I think the Receiving
MSH must send an Acknowledgment in this case even if AckRequested does not
appear.  Actually, I would prefer that AckRequested MUST NOT appear if the CPA
says *true* or *false*.

If AckRequested is *perMessage* in the CPA, then what happens if the
AckRequested element does not appear?  The spec says this means no
Acknowledgment.  The default then is *false* if the CPA says *perMessage*.

I think we should not have multiple rules about *perMessage*.  If a default is
provided in one case, then it should work the same in all cases.  Since the
absence of an Acknowledgment element means *false* then the absence of
duplicateElimination should also mean *false* and the absence of a signed
attribute should mean *false* (or in all cases it means take the default).

David.

-----Original Message-----
From: Arvola Chan [mailto:arvola@tibco.com]
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2001 5:05 PM
To: David Fischer; ebXML Msg

David:

I don't agree with the last sentence in the following paragraph within your
meeting minutes:

>PerMessage parameters:  Colleen, what parameters have been identified.
Arvola:  >duplicateElimination, AckRequested, AckRequested/signed.  Dale:
perMessage in >CPA means no agreement.  Colleen: what about defaults.  Dale:
OK.  Ian:  add to >document, if there is a conflict then generate error /
define error – <<next item>>.  >Consensus is that perMessage does not
require item to appear, there may be an >MSH default.

I have been assuming that the AckRequested element must be present in a
message before the receiver will return an Acknowledgment. The Message
Service Interface may have a default to allow the application above to omit
the specification of whether an Acknowledgment is desired. The sending MSH
must include an AckRequested element in a message if it expects to receipt
an Acknowledgment for it.

Similarly, the sending MSH must specify an appropriate value for the
duplicateElimination attribute in the QualityOfServiceInfo element, one that
does not conflict with the specification within the CPA.

Regards,
-Arvola