Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] Re: Comments on the 1.09 about ConversationId

Marty, you are absolutely correct!  Every word is right!  I never said a
Conversation ended with persistDuration.

David.

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin W Sachs [mailto:mwsachs@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2001 7:46 AM
To: David Fischer
Cc: Ralph Berwanger; ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org

Not true!

The fact that no more messages for a conversation are left in the
persistent store does not mean that the conversation is ended. The time to
complete a conversation may far exceed persistDuration.  In addition to
network delay and MSH response time, it may involve long processing delays
by the application.  Just consider the case where  you order a custom-built
PC from a company with just-in-time inventory policy.  It may have to place
orders with multiple subcontractors and wait for responses to all of them
before it replies to you.

The MSH can only conclude that a conversation is ended when it is told that
it is ended, preferably by the software/middleware above it.

Most useful conversations eventually end.  Yes, there are some that go on
forever.  An application may open a conversation and use it for a
continuing flow of individual interactions.  In  my experience that happens
when some of the needed identifiers are in payload where they are hidden
from the middleware.  OBI is probably one such case. Applications
supporting ebXML messaging probably do not need infinite length
conversations.  In any case if this is done right, the MSH need not care,
i.e. if conversation management is above the level of the MSH.

Regards,
Marty
*****

Martin W. Sachs