Subject: Re: [ebxml-msg] Section 3.1.6.4 TimeToLiveElement

This is getting a bit confused and I apologise for adding to the confusion.

David, I believe you've agreed with me in general and then taken a stance
different than mine.  That's fine but I'll still attempt to clear up the
disparity.  One note: MSH-level errors allowed after an end-to-end
acknowledgment completely confuse any state machine at the sender (leaving
everything indeterminate until long after TimeToLive has expired), means
retries might be necessary after an acknowledgment and / or goes against our
requirement that manual intervention or an acknowledgment are the only ways
to end the reliable messaging cycle.

Martin, I would agree completely with your statements about acknowledgments
recognising placement of a message in the persistent store if and only if we
made it clear that store was our mechanism for transfers to the application
space.  The current specification doesn't recognise that and doesn't require
any use of the persistent store except with regard to reliable messaging and
duplicate detection.  We don't even say the persistent store is logically
part of both the application and the MSH implementation.

Back to the original issue: What event(s) MUST occur prior to the
TimeToLive?  Arvola is absolutely correct in saying the current "delivered
and processed" wording uses an event far too late.  That definition would
require some MSH control over application processing timelines.

David F. seems to be suggesting TimeToLive should be checked only upon
receipt of a message.  That definitely occurs prior to sending an
acknowledgment message but seems like an event immaterial to the sender.  An
infinite-length queue or even no connection at all between the receiving MSH
and To Party application would become a reasonable implementation.

I'd prefer a middle ground.  The message is logically received, validated,
placed in persistent storage, acknowledged, processed by the application and
(optionally) responded to at a business level.  Use of the "placed in
persistent storage" event would be fine.  With Martin's interpretation of
"placed in persistent storage" as being semantically identical to "passed to
the application", it gets even better but I think we can avoid requiring
that being explicit in our specification.

thanx,
    doug