Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] Whitespace problem with XMLDSIG usage in ebMSS

Hi Doug, Rich and David,

I am just going to answer the XSL transform question for now.  Before that,
I certainly do appreciate you folks taking the time to read what was a long
email.

The XSLT stylesheet was:

      <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
        <xsl:strip-space elements='*'/>        <!-- Strip whitespace. -->
        <xsl:template match='node()|@*'>       <!-- The identity transform.
-->
          <xsl:copy> <xsl:apply-templates select='@*'/>
<xsl:apply-templates/> </xsl:copy>
        </xsl:template>
      </xsl:stylesheet>

which, when reformatted, looks like:

      <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
        <xsl:strip-space elements='*'/>        <!-- Strip whitespace. -->
        <xsl:template match='node()|@*'>       <!-- The identity transform.
-->
          <xsl:copy>
            <xsl:apply-templates select='@*'/>
            <xsl:apply-templates/>
          </xsl:copy>
        </xsl:template>
      </xsl:stylesheet>

When a particular node is chosen for processing, the <xsl:apply-templates
select='@*'/> element
matches the attributes of that node, causing them to be copied from the
input to the output. The
subsequent <xsl:apply-templates/> element (which is not the close tag for
the first) matches the
child nodes of the current node and copies them too.

XPath does not consider an attribute to be the child of the element it is
attached to; see http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath#attribute-nodes .  This is why
two separate <xsl:apply-templates/>
elements are needed.

I must confess I did not invent the identity transform shown here. See this
note by Michael
Kay: http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect2/identity.html#d142e15 .

Please let me know if I need to clarify. I will need a little more time to
study the options Rich and
Doug have presented.

Thanks again for the comments and feedback.

Regards,
Sanjay J. Cherian
Sterling Commerce
Irving, TX