Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] Please send your feedback on 'whitespace' issue.

I think this is the last issue.  Rather than try to work out the transform, I am
just going to put a warning in the Multi-hop section under a new heading called
*Multi-Hop Security Considerations*.  I will finish this and then put out
version 1.1 for a vote.

Regards,

David.

-----Original Message-----
From: David Fischer [mailto:david@drummondgroup.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2002 5:29 PM
To: Cherian, Sanjay; ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] Please send your feedback on 'whitespace'
issue.

This could be serious for Intermediaries.  When an IM adds an element to a
signed message, it must be done without adding ANY whitespace.  When an IM
removes an element it must do so without deleting whitespace outside the
element.

	<SOAP:Header...>
		<MessageHeader ...>...
		</MessageHeader>
		<ds:Signature>. . .</ds:Signature>
	</SOAP:Header>

becomes:

	<SOAP:Header...>
		<MessageHeader ...>...
		</MessageHeader><SyncReply.../><AckRequested.../>
		<ds:Signature>. . .</ds:Signature>
	</SOAP:Header>

Notice there is no whitespace (CRLF) added when adding the SyncReply and
AckRequested.  Is it reasonable to ask IMs to act like this?  Should we show
this in the spec?

Sanjay's Transform, or something like it, might fix this problem so the IM could
add elements on a new line as would be expected:

	<SOAP:Header...>
		<MessageHeader ...>...
		</MessageHeader>
		<ds:Signature>. . .</ds:Signature>

		<SyncReply.../>

		<AckRequested.../>

	</SOAP:Header>

OTOH, We could fix this problem by putting SyncReply and AckRequested back in
Via so IMs change a flag instead of adding elements.  Since Via is not signed,
the problem would go away.

In any case, this needs to be addressed.

Regards,

David Fischer
Drummond Group.

P.S.  Thanks to Sanjay for identifying this problem, and to Cliff for
testing/proving this problem on signed messages.