Subject: Re: [ebxml-msg] Issue 15: Use of the word OPTIONAL

Sorry - I forgot to copy the list.

Martin W. Sachs
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
P. O. B. 704
Yorktown Hts, NY 10598
914-784-7287;  IBM tie line 863-7287
Internet address:  mwsachs @ us.ibm.com
---------------------- Forwarded by Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM on 02/12/2002
05:30 PM ---------------------------

Martin W Sachs
02/12/2002 05:29 PM

To:    Doug Bunting <dougb62@yahoo.com>
cc:
From:  Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
Subject:    Re: [ebxml-msg] Issue 15: Use of the word OPTIONAL  (Document
       link: Martin W. Sachs)

The CPPA team has reworded all uses of OPTIONAL except those that relate to
things whose implementation by a vendor is not required. That's the only
sure way to avoid confusion.

Regards,
Marty

Martin W. Sachs
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
P. O. B. 704
Yorktown Hts, NY 10598
914-784-7287;  IBM tie line 863-7287
Internet address:  mwsachs @ us.ibm.com

Doug Bunting <dougb62@yahoo.com> on 02/12/2002 05:08:51 PM

To:    ebXML <ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc:
Subject:    [ebxml-msg] Issue 15: Use of the word OPTIONAL

David has disagreed with Chris' statement that OPTIONAL is misused
(according
to 2119) in a number of contexts.  The basic issue here is a conflict
between
something that may or may not appear in an instance of an ebXML message and
something that must or may be implemented by a compliant ebMS system.  In
the
specified uses of the word OPTIONAL, the first is meant but our document
conventions (section 1.1.1) restricts us to using OPTIONAL only when the
second is intended.  I would strongly recommend making the change Chris
suggested.

thanx,
    doug