Subject: Re: [ebxml-msg]Issue73:http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelopenamespace

Oops, that's a separate issue and I'd agree it's real.  Could you send the appropriate XML fragment along to the list?

thanx,
    doug

Arvola Chan wrote:

 Doug: I tried removing the ds, xlink, and soap namespace declarations. XML Authority reports lots of errors on the resulting schema, one of which is: Imported schema must have a target namespace in order to 'import'. Namespace information will be lost. Therefore, I don't think it is OK to remove these namespace declarations. I didn't realize that the schema in http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope namespace is for SOAP 1.2. In that case, it would be inappropriate for us to use the schema directly available from that location. Still, I think section 2.3.2 is technically incorrect, because it currently states: "The SOAP namespace:http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/resolves to a schema conforming to an early Working Draft version of the W3C XML Schema specification, specifically identified by the following URI:http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema" Thanks,-Arvola
-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Bunting <dougb62@yahoo.com>
To: ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org <ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 2:04 PM
 Arvola,

I agree we need all of the current import statements and namespace declarations.  Namespaces must be declared where they are used (in both instance and schema documents).  Schema documents need the import as well for reasons documented in the excerpt below.

About the only thing that might be removable is the ds, xlink and soap namespace declarations in our schema document.  (I haven't tried this removal with existing XML parsers but it might work since those namespaces are referenced only within attribute content.)  It wouldn't be a worthwhile change at this stage because the declarations in question certainly do no harm and have no effect on users of the schema.

On your original question: The new schema you mention is for SOAP 1.2 which remains under development.  While SOAP 1.1 is only a Note, it is at least more stable than a draft Recommendation.  Further, switching from SOAP 1.1 to 1.2 would be a rather large change to our document.

thanx,
    doug

Arvola Chan wrote:

 David: I don't think the import constructs in msg-header-2_0 are redundant. Here is an excerpt from http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-0/#import:The report schema, report.xsd, makes use of the simple type xipo:SKU that is defined in another schema, and in another target namespace. Recall that we used include so that the schema in ipo.xsd could make use of definitions and declarations from address.xsd. We cannot use include here because it can only pull in definitions and declarations from a schema whose target namespace is the same as the including schema's target namespace. Hence, the include element does not identify a namespace (although it does require a schemaLocation). The import mechanism that we describe in this section is an important mechanism that enables schema components from different target namespaces to be used together, and hence enables the schema validation of instance content defined across multiple namespaces.

To import the type SKU and use it in the report schema, we identify the namespace in which SKU is defined, and associate that namespace with a prefix for use in the report schema. Concretely, we use the import element to identify SKU's target namespace, http://www.example.com/IPO, and we associate the namespace with the prefix xipo using a standard namespace declaration. The simple type SKU, defined in the namespace http://www.example.com/IPO, may then be referenced as xipo:SKU in any of the report schema's definitions and declarations.

Currently, the default namespace is  xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema". If we make soap the default namespace, then we will have to start qualifying types from the above namespace explicitly, e.g., xsd:nonNegativeInteger, instead of nonNegativeInteger. I don't see why we should make such change now.

I agree that we should keep our version of envelope.xsd on our web site to allow existing implementations to continue to refer to it.

Regards,

-Arvola