Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] Reliable Messaging question

Arvola:

My 2 cents on this:
- Error message does not serve as an Ack. An illustration of this is that duplicate messages have to be Acked anyway,
then Error-notified, as described in the spec.
- From an implementation perspective, it is easier to have the RM mechanism tuned only on Acks, to detect timeouts.
- The meaning of Ack - as I interpret it in the spec -  is not acknowledging that a message is "valid": just that it has been received.
(and that it has "minimum integrity" so that it can be identified as ebXML, with ID...)
If what I said is correct, it would be helpful to havea more explicit statement about it in 2.0.

Jacques
-----Original Message-----
From: Arvola Chan [mailto:arvola@tibco.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 5:02 PM
To: ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [ebxml-msg] Reliable Messaging question

Section 7.5.2 in Draft version 2.0 describes Receiving Message Behavior under the ebXML Reliable Messaging Protocol. It does not mention anything about error handling.

Suppose the received message is erroneous (e.g., some elements in the message are inconsistent with the CPA), the receiver is obligated to return an Error message. It is not clear to me if an Acknowledgment MUST also be included in the Error message.

Does the Error message serve as an implicit Acknowledgement? Will the sender keep retrying until it gets back an Acknowledgment (i.e., as long as the number of allowable retries have not been exhausted)?

Thanks,
-Arvola