Subject: Schema-Specification normative preference wasRE: [ebxml-msg]Issue73:http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelopenamespace

From a pragmatic point of view, if
one side is checking schema validity, and the other says
it is following the spec. and produces schema-invalid
XML, then interoperability will be very hard to obtain.
In effect, schema validity checking would have to be
turned off for interoperability!?!

This would probably be a bad thing. So "between
specification versions," I think
the schema should take precedence,
if we miss something or, more wackily,
decide not to fix known discrepancies.

Small discrepancies might be handled by interim schema fixes,
with a fixed URL, but potentially variable schema.
(I think that could work, anyway; if we had a URN
resolver service it might be easier. But there
seem to be no best current practices for URN
resolution services.)

With a provision for updates at a fixed, announced
location, at least implementers could be told
to periodically check for a fixed schema to
resolve interop. issues.

I am not wild about this proposal--it has
all the elegance of CRL lists for PKI,
but it might be OK in the interim
for PSI (public schema infrastructure).

A RegRep mechanism might also be available.
Any one have something better to handle
"between specification" schema fixes?

My $.02.