Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] RE: AS3?....

Title: AS3?....
I think that we have managed to attribute a need for ebXML that simply cannot be implied.  The ebXML Message Services were defined apart from any transport protocol.  It would be wrong to attempt to justify a need for AS? standards based on ebXML.  I am not sure there is a valid argument for pursuing an AS2-like solution for FTP.  I am sure that anyone who tries to use ebXML as the justification will be embarassed to know that ebXML Message Service Specification will not promote the argument.  The specification is very clear, it states: The ebXML architecture requires that the ebXML Message Service protocol be capable of being carried over any available communications protocol.  Therefore, this document does not mandate use of a specific communications protocol.

I suggest that a different justification be crafted before this discussion goes any further.

Ralph Berwanger
bTrade, Inc

-----Original Message-----
From: Ahmed, Zahid [mailto:zahid.ahmed@commerceone.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 4:45 PM
To: 'Greg Vesper'; David Fischer; Jeff Lightcap; ietf-ediint@imc.org
Cc: Dave Bennett; ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org; ebxml-dev@lists.ebxml.org
Subject: [ebxml-msg] RE: AS3?....

Well, if we entertain the idea of support for FTP in future versions of ebXML,
we will need to support certainly transport level security of ebXML message
over FTP. There are secure FTP impls out there. Reliable message delivery
would be another aspect to fact in w.r.t. FTP. Non-repudiation would be
another aspect. Ofcourse, the SOAP message enveloping scheme of
ebXML may be enhanced to provide some transport independent
authenticatioin scheme in the future.

---Zahid