Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] Have you implemented Version 2.0 ?

Title: RE: [ebxml-msg] Have you implemented Version 2.0 ?
Lisa,
    Before we start beating on Drummond Group we should be careful to understand what they were offering.  They were not certifying that vendor products were 'compliant' with the specification.  They were offering a service to ensure interoperability between products of various vendors.  This may seem like hair-splitting (and for those who know me you understand how difficult that is), but it is the simple truth.  Vendors were not forced to engage in the testing, they voluntarily participated.  There was NO other venue and at least this method provided a somewhat impartial third-party validation of facts assumed by the vendors

    I agree that it would be improper to take intellectual property 'donated' by various organizations and sell it for gain.  Like you and the rest of those on the listserv, we spend significant resources assisting with standards work.  It is intended to produce an open consensus-based standard, not to advance the interest of any individual company.  I think we are sharing the same soap box.  However, in fairness to the Drummond Group, that is not what has happened.  They took the specification and produced a test plan which allowed the participants in the test to exchange messages and to systematically exercise their solutions to ensure that they worked with similiar products from other vendors.  In the end, those that participated can affirm that their products can interoperate.  They might even say that their products are compliant, but not based on the results of the test.  That was not the purpose of the test.  For the record, I do not totally agree with the statements that David has made below, but I cannot fault Drummond Group for their actions.

    Regarding compliance testing, a very different process is needed.  I exchanged messages with Prakash yesterday on this topic.  I am hoping that the OASIS IIC TC can move this forward.  I am prepared to assist anyway necessary to help this work progress.  I think we may need to bring additional resources to the table to assist the IIC.  Additionally, there other efforts, like the B2B Testbed, being proposed by OAG and NIST that can provide additional support to this area.

Ralph Berwanger
Ambassador to Standards
bTrade,Inc

---------------------------------------
-----Original Message-----
From: David Fischer [mailto:david@drummondgroup.com]
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2002 2:05 PM
To: Seaburg, Lisa; ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org

DGI has donated thousands of hours to ebXML over the last two years.  We are represented on five committees (two as editors and one as v1.0 Chair) all non-reimbursed.  The interoperability test ran about four months with daily conference calls and constant work on our part.  We are providing this service for very little more than cost recovery.

DGI is not taking advantage.  Why is this any different than someone implementing the spec and selling their product, thus taking advantage of hundreds of hours of volunteer work?  No one actually volunteers for ebXML.  Everyone has a business reason to be here.

Regards,

David Fischer
Drummond Group.