Subject: [ebxml-msg] FW: [ebxml-cppa] IBM patent disclosure

We need to seriously consider whether we require CPPA in Messaging.  If IBM
requires a license to use CPPA, that could easily transfer to Messaging based
upon this requirement.

Regards,

David Fischer
Drummond Group.

-----Original Message-----
From: David Fischer [mailto:david@drummondgroup.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2002 8:45 AM
To: ebxml-cppa@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Rik Drummond
Subject: RE: [ebxml-cppa] IBM patent disclosure

I logged on this morning to vote yes on the specification.  Now I am going to
abstain.

I gather that the very existence of this technology is what IBM claims and there
is nothing we can change in the specification to obviate IBMs claim -- they
claim the whole document even though they had a minor role in developing it.

IBM is going to require anyone who uses CPPA to obtain a license?  This makes
IBM the owner of CPPA!  Marty has assured us that the cost will be zero, yet IBM
is not willing to make this assurance in writing.  Rest assured then, the cost
will not always be zero.

Regards,

David Fischer
Drummond Group.