Subject: Re: [ebxml-msg] Status of Messaging spec vote

Phil,

Thanks very much for joining our list.  This should make it much easier
to close on the issues you raised with your vote.

I believe text and binary encoding comparisons is very interesting and
useful work.   We may eventually see more efficient protocols for XML on
the wire though the readability and thus debugging losses might make it
a niche.  Certainly, interoperability concerns imply the industry will
likely wait until there is a single canonical way to convert an XML
document or infoset to a binary form.

For ebXML Messaging in particular, we were designing an XML (not binary)
protocol for exchange of business documents between trading partners.
The system is certainly applicable beyond the bounds of that particular
context but it is not intended to cover every use case.  We were
designing a concrete way for companies to interact when operating within
the context we defined.  Your comments imply requirements beyond the
ones we had perceived.  Could you please help us understand your issues
with the application of ebXML to the use cases we had in mind?

Our private exchanges lead me to believe your primary issues are with
ebXML Messaging recognizing XML Digital Signature and XML Encryption as
appropriate technologies for security our transfer protocol.
Specifically, you suggest we should have used XML Cryptographic Message
Syntax (CMS).  I don't remember the working group ever identified this
technology as a potential solution to the problems we had identified.
However, we may be able to include its use in future versions of our
specification.

thanx,
    doug